You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-11 18:09:45

whoops

[gave up]Kernel panic after grub problem, reinstalling it won't help

Hi!

I'm a little confused and out of ideas here, so sorry If I'm providing the wrong information, please ask.

I...:
- Had a few updates since last reboot (was using testing at that time)
- I moved around my two hard-disks (physically - like, to another slot), I'm pretty sure I connected them exactly the way they were but I'm out of explanations...
- Root and /home are software raid0 ext4
- /boot is a normal partition
- after reboot, grub complained about being not able to read the filesystem and dropped me to rescue console (where I didn't know what to do)

Then I...:
- Booted with arch live cd
- assembled the raid devices manually (which worked)
- chrooted into it, connected to internet
- grub_install to sda and sdb

Reboot:
- unable to mount hdsomething.something as boot, kernel panic, trying to kill init,....
Fallback:
- Usb-Keyboard not working (was working in grub), "cannot access system clock something", can't do anything

Then I...:
- Booted with live cd again, use mdadm CLI again & chroot
- Downgraded: pacman -S coreutils dhcpcd e2fsprogs ghostscript kernel26 kernel26-firmware libcups nvidia (that were the ones originally from testing)
- Reinstalled grub, grub_install again

Reboot:
- Normal grub start option still says kernel panic the same way
- Fallback now works with keyboard and everything

That was most of what I tried I guess... can't remember most of it, didn't have anything to write stuff down most of the time. Don't know where to continue looking for that Problem - what could it be?

Thanks!

Last edited by whoops (2009-09-27 18:40:54)

#2 2009-09-11 19:12:37

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: [gave up]Kernel panic after grub problem, reinstalling it won't help

Perhaps when finished with mdadm CLI, you should run mkinitcpio -p kernel26 which places the raid data in initramfs for booting into raid devices (all raid devices have same UUID).

Good luck........

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2009-09-12 08:53:26

whoops

Re: [gave up]Kernel panic after grub problem, reinstalling it won't help

That wasn't it, but thanks!

I somehow fixed it now, still not sure what exactly it was though. My #1 theory:

- I once had a kernel line in menu.lst:

kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/md2 resume=/dev/md0 ro md=0,/dev/sda2,/dev/sdb2 md=2,/dev/sda5,/dev/sdb5 vga=893

- After an update, it started making trouble - If I remember right, there was a delay during boot, sometimes it froze and pm-hibernate stopped working. I was told something about "kernel does autodetect now" or something like that, and after modifying the line, everything worked again with:

kernel /vmlinuz26 resume=/dev/md0 root=/dev/md2 resume=/dev/md0 ro vga=893

- Many updates later, it stopped working again.
- I manually assembled the raid array and mounted... the wrong partitions. Didn't even rememver, I had a backup /boot. I must have accidentally written to the MBR from an older backup I guess, which made grub work again - but pointed to the wrong kernel.

Anyway: After changing the kernel line back to the long version in my current menu.lst and writing grub to mbr again, is seems to work. Not sure if the explanation why right, and if it's related to two bugs that have recently been submitted. Yes I know, I did that way to chaotic once again.... Maybe in between I did something entirely else to repair that, so if someone has still a similar problem and questions about that just ask, I might be able to recall other "potentially redundant steps" (or not).

Edit: Problem came back on new / clean install, seems like I can't get it working again without "doing strange stuff"... reinstalled without raid.

Last edited by whoops (2009-09-27 18:39:45)

Board footer