You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-13 11:42:28

andrewzorn

Extreme frustation with ATI 4850 and Xorg etc

I had Arch installed a couple weeks back and liked it a lot.  Then one day 'startx' began giving me nothing but a black screen.  I tried to fix it but could not.  I completely erased my Arch partition.

Now I try again.  But I cannot even get that far.  I again follow the beginner's guide but start off trying for the proprietary ATI drivers like I ended up with before.
Can't get the eduardo repo to work like I did before, so I go to AUR to get the Catalyst and utils packages... 9.8 is outdated?  I know 9.9 is out but there's no 9.9 on the AUR...
Anyway I get both of those install them it does not work, complains about fglrx, cannot even do the Xorg configure (keeps giving me error 11).

So I set out to just get something that works with xf86-video-radeonhd.  This installs and I do the Xorg configure and it works.  But doing 'startx' just gives me the same black screen as I am used to... but at least this time I am able to Ctrl+Alt+F1 out of it.  I see that it cannot load ati-dri, which I have tried many steps to fix with no luck.  I even linked some file and cannot get over the idea that I should now 'un' link it but do not know how.

In short, I think I have messed up everything here.  This wasn't anywhere near this hard the first time.  I spent over 3hrs yesterday in anticipation just downloading Xorg and the ATI drivers, my internet is VERY slow... and now this!

#2 2009-09-13 13:02:06

Andrwe
Website

Re: Extreme frustation with ATI 4850 and Xorg etc

Can you post your Xorg log and xorg.conf?

Is ati-dri installed? (pacman -Qs ati-dri)

#3 2009-09-13 13:07:23

flamelab

Remove everything, install or

xf86-video-ati-git and ati-dri

or

catalyst catalyst-utils

follow the guide on wiki.archlinux.org

#4 2009-09-13 14:46:47

andrewzorn

Got it to work... with proprietary drivers.  Not sure how.  Deleting the /etc/ati/? seemed to help, and some combination of adding/removing ati-dri but not the git.

Any idea why openbox AND fluxbox both freeze the whole system when I add/replace them in .xinitrc?  awesome and icewm work fine.

EDIT got it, one must use exec openbox-session

Last edited by andrewzorn (2009-09-13 16:39:47)

Board footer