You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-15 18:45:55

Blake Gideon

setting up sshfs....Question about setting up fuse

I am installing sshfs to copy a filesystem from a remote machine to my own. When I installed sshfs, I got the following output from pacman:

1 ==>You must load the fuse kernel module to use fuse
2 Run 'modprobe fuse' to load the module now
3 Add fuse to $MODULES in /etc/rc.conf to load every boot
4 ==>You will need a /dev/fuse device node to use FUSE.
5 If you use udev, nothing needs to be done
6 For a static /dev, run: mknod /dev/fuse -m 0666 c 10 229

I followed lines 1-5 on my machine. So, I assume everything was set up correctly.
I then tried:

# gpasswd -a bjg fuse
gpasswd: group 'fuse does not exist in /etc/group

If I add a fuse group manually, should I be worried about screwing something up. Do you think adding the following line to /etc/group would work? What number should I use?

fuse::$NUMBER:$Username

Or should I reboot my machine and try gpasswd again?

#2 2009-09-15 19:00:20

Mardoct

Re: setting up sshfs....Question about setting up fuse

You installed it, /etc/rc.conf has fuse in the modules section. Good. Reboot to make sure it is loaded, then run the command like this:

sshfs <username on remote system to connect to, defaults to the active user in the shell>@<IP>:<folder to mount on remote system> <mountpoint on your system -p <port in use, leave blank for 22>

For example, I often use:

sshfs root@192.168.1.138:/srv/http /mnt/server

Which mounts my server's files to serve to /mnt/server

To unmount it, use:

fusermount -u <where the remotes file system is mounted>

Last edited by Mardoct (2009-09-15 19:00:51)

The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning.

#3 2009-09-15 19:16:22

Blake Gideon

I ran that command, I am mounting a 1.5GB filesystem from across the country. sshfs is still running, is this normal for it to take awhile? sshfs is not transfering the whole filesystem right, just the directory and filenames?

This is my output:

read:connection reset by peer

EDIT:

If there is a better/easier way to copy a ton of files or directory structure from a remote machine that does not use sshfs, let me know.

Last edited by Blake Gideon (2009-09-15 19:20:47)

#4 2009-09-15 19:22:04

Mardoct

I only ever use it to mount a small portion of the drive - /srv/http - from a computer 50 centimetres away on the same subnet. I can't comment on corss country speeds, but I don't see why it shouldn't take a while.

As far as I know, it will only mount what you told it to. /src/http isn't on a seperate partition, but it is all the gets mounted and is visible to me if I run it to mount that directory. It does mount recursively, as well.

@Connection reset; Are you sure you have all relevant permissions? Can you use normal SSH to get a terminal?

Last edited by Mardoct (2009-09-15 19:24:30)

The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning.

#5 2009-09-15 19:29:28

tomk
Forum Fellow

That message means the remote machine rejected the underlying ssh connection - you would need to check its logs to find out why.

The alternatives in your scenario would depend on what you can run on the remote machine - if you can run an ftp or web server, you could get them that way either.

Oh, and there is no fuse group - not sure where you got that idea.

#6 2009-09-15 19:34:15

Blake Gideon

ssh is working fine, I was able to login on the remote machine without a problem.

#7 2009-09-15 20:21:19

tomk
Forum Fellow

No doubt - but that's not what I was talking about. You need to investigate why sshfs has a problem with its ssh connection - shouldn't be too hard, as you have a working ssh session in which you can examine logs etc.

#8 2009-09-15 21:58:39

Blake Gideon

Are you saying I need to have an active ssh session before I run sshfs?

#9 2009-09-15 22:12:51

tomk
Forum Fellow

No. Login as normal over ssh, tail the logs, then try the sshfs mount, so you can see what gets logged during the mount attempt.

Board footer