You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-16 14:29:46

rtc56

LCD dim on KDE4 login (update)

Fresh Arch install, then added Xorg, hal & xf86-video-intel. Tested X, looks fine. Added kdebase. On starting kdm, screen looks fine. As soon as I login, the screen dims & I'm unable to adjust the brightness at all. It's barely visible, so basically unusable. The screen remains dim on logout & reboot. I have to go back to Vista (dual-boot) to restore brightness. I tried couple things from a forum search (acpi_brightness=vendor on kernel line in grub, etc). Machine is a Compaq CQ60 215DX, Celereon 585 cpu w/Intel Mobile Series 4 graphics. Any ideas or help?

Update: After trying every tweak I could find on the web, I gave up. Did a fresh install of Arch, X, KDE4,etc...still no joy. Installed GNOME and voila, brightness is good & adjustable in GNOME. So I thought, "yay, that fixed it!"...wrong. Logged into KDE4 & screen dims during the splash with no adjustment possible. If I log out of KDE4 & log back into GNOME, brightness gets restored...I'm baffled at this point. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Last edited by rtc56 (2009-09-24 18:21:53)

#2 2009-11-21 00:31:03

mikemrh9

Re: LCD dim on KDE4 login (update)

I suffer with this too, on a rather random basis. It seems to come and go with different (kernel/hal/XOrg??) upgrades. I can't offer a proper solution, but the following workarounds are both quicker than a reboot via another OS:

As your user;
xbacklight -inc 30

The number is a percentage - choose whatever you like.  To dim the screen again, use the -dec switch.

If that doesn't work,

As root;
echo 75 > /proc/acpi/video/GFX0/DD02/brightness

The path to the part of the /proc filesystem controlling your video hardware may be different, and 75 may be an unsuitable value for your monitor. If you are not familiar with the /proc filesystem, I would suggest that you read up on what it is and how it works before you play with it!!

Board footer