You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-16 17:35:18

samsom

Opening documents in Firefox ( SOLVED )

Hi,
I cannot seem to open documents ( pdfs, doc, excel) directly from a website. When given the option of whether I want to download the file or open it, if I choose to open the file, it asks me for the location of the program. The same problem occurs when I click in the downloads notification box. I have to navigate to the actual file location and click on it, whereupon the appropriate program ( writer, okular..etc) is automatically chosen.
Is there anything I can do so the OS can automatically open the file without me having to navigate to the actual file and click on it?
Apologies if my problem is not clear...I cant seem to think of a better way to explain it.
Thanks in advance
Samsom

Last edited by samsom (2009-09-22 13:02:07)

Samsom

#2 2009-09-17 23:58:08

thisoldman

Re: Opening documents in Firefox ( SOLVED )

The solution may be to set the MIME type association through Firefox's Preference window.

From the menu bar, select  'Edit > Preferences > Applications'. In that window, a list of Content Types and associated Actions will appear. Select the 'Content Type' by clicking on it and the Action next to it will display an arrow head. Clicking on the arrow head will display a short menu showing the options available for that file.

For example, if I select "OpenOffice Calc spreadsheet," my choices are "Always Ask" or "Save File" or "Use OpenOffice.org 3.1 Calc" or "Use OpenOffice.org Plug-in" and so forth. A more detailed explanation can be seen here and here

[Edit] You are using Firefox?

Last edited by thisoldman (2009-09-18 00:00:04)

#3 2009-09-22 08:14:36

samsom

Hi,
Sorry for the delay in replying. Was away for a bit.
Yes, I am using Firefox.
I have tried to alter the setting in the Applications section. However, there does not seem to be pdfs/ docs/ ppts in the list of documents. And I cannot seem to find a way to add new application types to the list. The firefox websitesays there is not a way to add application in the new version. 
It works fine with Konquerer though.
Samsom

Samsom

#4 2009-09-22 08:41:09

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

You can try in firefox "about:config" and there set

browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extensions false

Then you should be able to change your settings in preferences.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#5 2009-09-22 10:19:51

samsom

bernarcher wrote:

You can try in firefox "about:config" and there set

browser.download.hide_plugins_without_extensions false

Then you should be able to change your settings in preferences.

I have done as instructed. However, nothing seems to have changed in the preferences section.

Samsom

#6 2009-09-22 11:27:06

thisoldman

Unless there's an extension or plugin capable of handling the file, you aren't going to get a listing. In other words, you need the Adobe Acrobat Reader plugin to get pdf files listed. You can see what plugins you do have by typing 'about:plugins' in the address bar

If you know the plug-in has been installed but the mime type isn't listed you might have to do something I have never tried.

The mime types for Firefox are stored in
~/.mozilla/firefox/<RANDOM_CHARACTERS>.default/mimeTypes.rdf

You can try renaming the file so firefox doesn't recognize it. Firefox is supposed to rebuild mimeTypes.rdf if it's missing. If you are extremely  foolhardy, you can try editing mimeTypes.rdf by hand.

Links to different mime types for testing can be found at http://kb.mozillazine.org/Testing_plugins.

#7 2009-09-22 11:48:56

Gen2ly
Website

Works ok for me.  If I select open file with, select the program and then check automatically open this filetype with the program from now on, next time I download a pdf... okular... opens it.

How old is your firefox profile?  I had a problem with a profile that I had been using for awhile that Firefox wouldn't remember the application to open it with.  Take a look at this page if you want to transfer your history, bookmarks, passwordss... to a new profile.

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#8 2009-09-22 12:44:24

samsom

Gen2ly wrote:

Works ok for me.  If I select open file with, select the program and then check automatically open this filetype with the program from now on, next time I download a pdf... okular... opens it.

How old is your firefox profile?  I had a problem with a profile that I had been using for awhile that Firefox wouldn't remember the application to open it with.  Take a look at this page if you want to transfer your history, bookmarks, passwordss... to a new profile.

When I click on "Open with", it takes me to my home folder rather than a list of applications to choose from.
Also, I have got openoffice plugin for firefox which is the default program for opening ODF files. However, it does not recognise .doc or .ppt extensions as compatible.
Sameer

Samsom

#9 2009-09-22 12:54:34

Gen2ly
Website

samsom wrote:

When I click on "Open with", it takes me to my home folder rather than a list of applications to choose from.
Also, I have got openoffice plugin for firefox which is the default program for opening ODF files. However, it does not recognise .doc or .ppt extensions as compatible.
Sameer

I believe that this is Firefox's default behavior to open the find file dialog.  I don't think there is a find application dialog like I've seen in windows.  I only use KDE though so maybe there is in Gnome.  Have you tried finding the application and then doing the other steps to see if firefox recognizes it then?  After I do this I can goto the Preferences > Applications and seen okular listed.  If you need to find out where the application is you can type from the terminal:

whereis <program-name>

Last edited by Gen2ly (2009-09-22 12:56:08)

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#10 2009-09-22 13:01:26

samsom

Gen2ly wrote:
samsom wrote:

Sameer

I believe that this is Firefox's default behavior to open the find file dialog.  I don't think there is a find application dialog like I've seen in windows.  I only use KDE though so maybe there is in Gnome.  Have you tried finding the application and then doing the other steps to see if firefox recognizes it then?  After I do this I can goto the Preferences > Applications and seen okular listed.  If you need to find out where the application is you can type from the terminal:

whereis <program-name>

It worked! Thanks a lot, mate.
Cheers
Samsom

Samsom

Board footer