You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-19 11:30:02

peabrain

Printing not stopping

I have Canon LBP-8II laser printer, old as hell, working with Cups.

The problem is that I don't know how to cancel printing jobs. I'm not 100% sure this is a hardware issue, but I'm thinking it could be.

Whenever I want to cancel a print job, I first browse to localhost:631 and cancel the job. This does nothing, the printer keeps on printing, or actually it doesn't print but processes the information (the printer is really slow, spending most of the time not printing but analyzing what is sent to it). So if the printer is still analyzing and not printing, I turn of the printer. The I stop Cups. Then I turn the printer back on. After it gets ready it immediately starts flashing "Data" light as to notify something is being sent to it. This time however it prints just some clutter on the top of the page.

lpq says

Canon is ready
no entries

Cups is not even started.

This does not happen if I turn of the printer and disconnect the parallel cable. If I turn the printer off, then disconnect the cable and turn the printer back on, it doesn't process anything and it doesn't print. If I connect the cable it starts flashing the data light.

So on the other hand the printer doesn't understand when I want it to cancel the job. On the other hand something must be going through the cable even if Cups is not on.

lprm says no active jobs, lpstat says nothing.

Edit: And yes, I know l should get a modern printer. I just have one full cartridge for this printer, and I want to use it before throwing the printer out of the window.

Last edited by peabrain (2009-09-19 11:34:09)

#2 2009-09-19 19:54:02

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Printing not stopping

Do nothing. You'll be out of toner in a jiffy...

It sounds to me like the print jobs have already been sent to the printer and CUPS no longer has any involvement. I'm guessing that the printer is still converting a job into something that it can print internally. I guess the potentially silly question to ask is is there any way to purge jobs at the printer level?

Board footer