You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-20 10:23:02

richs-lxh

[Solved - Kind of] Easy Synaptics Touchpad config.

Hi everybody,

I have just reinstalled Arch, going from 32bit to 64bit edition on my laptop. For some reason this time i'm having a few problems getting right scroll to work on the Synaptics Touchpad.

I went through the wiki section Touchpad Synaptics and also tried with GpointingDeviceSettings from the AUR. I also tried Gsynaptics gui.

Firstly, with the new Xorg setup, I got nothing with Xorg -configure etc (black screen at bootup), so I tried with hwd (even though it's now deprecated), but hwd got me to a graphical desktop. I had no mouse at all until I saw that I needed the Hal and Dbus daemons in rc.conf. I also noticed that using Hal policy is recommended, but that failed to get my Touchpad scroll to work either.

I searched the forums for other xorg.conf, synaptic, hal policy posts, but still can't get it to work. Any help would be really appreciated.

If somebody who has a laptop with a Synaptics Touchpad could tell me if they used the new methods or went back to using the old xorg.conf method would help. I'd like to use the new "no xorg.conf" but I have also had/seen otherb problems with other distros as well.

Thanks in advance.

PS: In the meantime i'll try with xorg.conf from http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tou … stallation

EDIT: Ok, I got scroll to work with the xorg.conf method, but I would still like to hear from anybody who got scrolling with hal policy.

Last edited by richs-lxh (2009-09-20 10:46:04)

#2 2009-09-20 18:26:21

Kyle Carter

Re: [Solved - Kind of] Easy Synaptics Touchpad config.

I got a working touchpad with no xorg.conf. I'm pretty new to Laptops, but mine's an Acer Aspire 3003WLMi, and it worked sort of out-of-the-box, as long as I didn't try to use xorg.conf.

#3 2009-09-23 10:31:37

richs-lxh

Re: [Solved - Kind of] Easy Synaptics Touchpad config.

Thanks for the reply Kyle,

I tried a few other methods but still had to revert to using xorg.conf. But as the saying goes "if it ain't broke.........."

So everythings ok now, must be something to do with my touchpad or the right scroll bar.

rich

Board footer