You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-20 19:41:40

alleluia20

kdm: run-level versus daemon?

So far, I have kdm configured to start as a non-daemon in inittab, for the reasons pointed out on the wiki. The point is that the f**king intel driver makes the display freeze a lot of times, and I then have to shut down with the hardware. Do you think that kdm in daemon mode would make things easier (e.g., restarting the X server when the display freezes), or not?

Maybe, as a wider discussion: what are the advantages and disadvantages of setting kdm in a run-level, and of starting it as a daemon?

Thank you very much in advance.

#2 2009-09-21 09:44:44

berbae

Re: kdm: run-level versus daemon?

Here is what I understand about that :

1) If kdm is in the DAEMON line in the rc.conf file

It is started at boot time using the /etc/rc.d/kdm script.
So you can see it starting in the boot screen messages.
And you can stop it or restart it using, in a root virtual console: /etc/rc.d/kdm stop|restart

2) If kdm is in the inittab file

The /etc/rc.d/kdm script is not used, but the line 'x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/kdm'
And the process is automatically restarted when killed, because of the respawn option.
So you cannot stop it only staying in the same runlevel, but only restart it, running, in a root virtual console: killall /usr/bin/kdm
To stop it without restart,you can change the runlevel, running 'init 3', then restart it with 'init 5'.

Apart from that I don't see any other differences, each way results in starting the process /usr/bin/kdm, which takes care of what happens after that.

Last edited by berbae (2009-09-21 09:49:11)

Board footer