You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-21 23:47:31

Bruce_M
Website

[Solved] Burning CD now - so real newbie questions concerns.

[Solved] See this post!

Hi Folks,

I'm really new with Arch - burning my first CD now.

So I do have a few Q's since if I mess up my wifes stuff I'm dead meat!

1.  In the install process is there a way to:
- a - select what partition / goes on?
- b - select what partition /home goes on?

I have at the moment two versions of Linux installed, both use the same /home although they are separated.  I can hear the HUH's out there now.  Like this:

sda1 / #1 - sda2 - /home #1 c/w access to sda5 - /media/1/WatchMe (a copy of home)

sda3 - swap

sda6 - / #2 - sda7 - /home #2  c/w access to sda5 - /media/1/WatchMe

I plan on putting Arch on sda8 (/ = 20GB) and sda9 (/home 30GB) c/w access to sda5 - /media/1/WatchMe

Also I have a "latam" (Latin America) keyboard....

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver        "kbd"
    Option        "XkbRules"    "xorg"
    Option        "XkbModel"    "pc105"
    Option        "XkbLayout"    "latam"
    Option        "XkbOptions"    "lv3:ralt_switch"

I see where in install says: * If you prefer a non-US keymap or specific consolefont, type km to change any of these.

Will that allow for latam and cp105 ?
-----------------------------------------
b57b844e23df599f0e25fdd2232223de  archlinux-2009.08-netinstall-x86_64.iso

Mon Sep 21, 19:54 $ md5sum archlinux-2009.08-netinstall-x86_64.iso
b57b844e23df599f0e25fdd2232223de  archlinux-2009.08-netinstall-x86_64.iso
0 bruloo@hh: /media/1
Mon Sep 21, 19:55 $
-----------------------------------------

CD burned and ready, I'm chompin' at the bit!

Thanks....

Last edited by Bruce_M (2009-09-26 20:02:22)

Architecturally speaking in every arch there is a keystone!
In ARCHlinux it's KISS - = Keeping It Supported Stone = -
Does that make ARCH the Keystone of Linux?

#2 2009-09-22 00:36:16

slightlystoopid

Re: [Solved] Burning CD now - so real newbie questions concerns.

aw man, just quit, she's gonna KILL you!

yes, yes, and yes. just make sure you don't format the wrong partition (you will write a partition table though). and at some point you select mount points and there is an option to keep existing filesystem structure. also, it's all done before anything is written to disk.

One nation, under the corporatocracy, indivisible, with liberty for them.

Really, I can understand the Supreme Court's rulings. Afterall, corporations are people just like us, with love and feelings, hopes and dreams, and a limited lifespan to do it all in... oh wait, nevermind. I was thinking of same-sex marriage.

#3 2009-09-22 00:55:55

Bruce_M
Website

slightlystoopid wrote:

Quit?  Me? Oh right, I'm new here, you don't know me yet.

No, can't quit, that's for losers, gonna plow through dispite the consequences.
Trust me, been there and got the bruises to prove it.

slightlystoopid wrote:

yes, yes, and yes. just make sure you don't format the wrong partition (you will write a partition table though). and at some point you select mount points and there is an option to keep existing filesystem structure. also, it's all done before anything is written to disk.

I'll tell you something, I haven't lost a thing in 2.5 years of using Linux, with all the "reinstalls" I've had to do because of my "playing" with the systems. I have everything in at least three places, seperate partitions, DVD's and an archive hidden somewhere on the net.  smile

I can have my system rebuilt in less then 3 hours without the loss of a single email.

The last thing I'll do before rebooting with the Arch-CD  is backingup everything.  smile

And that's a BIG thanks for the reply.

My next post here just might be written in blood - mine!!  big_smile

#4 2009-09-22 02:19:35

stryder

slightlystoopid wrote:

I don't see why you name yourself "slightlystoopid" - this reeks of wisdom ...

Bruce_M wrote:

Quit?  Me? Oh right, I'm new here, you don't know me yet.

No, can't quit, that's for losers, gonna plow through dispite the consequences.
Trust me, been there and got the bruises to prove it.

... but it is clear why he is "bruise"

big_smile

#5 2009-09-22 02:49:34

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Off-topic, Bruce_M are you Bruce_M from ubuntuforums?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2009-09-22 11:32:39

Bruce_M
Website

ngoonee wrote:

Yup, that's me.  Soon to be "from" as in past tense.  But it's "Bruce M." there.  smile

Actually I'll probably be there for some time yet they have a GREAT Conky thread, and that's where I have been almost exclusively for the past year or so.

Obviously you're there too but under a different name.  smile

Click - !!  New sig coming !!

#7 2009-09-22 12:25:38

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Bruce_M wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

Yup, that's me.  Soon to be "from" as in past tense.  But it's "Bruce M." there.  smile

Actually I'll probably be there for some time yet they have a GREAT Conky thread, and that's where I have been almost exclusively for the past year or so.

Obviously you're there too but under a different name.  smile

Click - !!  New sig coming !!

I was, for a while. You helped me with Conky previously, Lostandfound I think my nick was there.

Welcome to Arch. How'd the install go? If you haven't yet, be VERY careful with the partitioning, I'm sure you'll want manual, and even on manual I inadvertantly wiped out my home partition once when reinstalling late at night.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#8 2009-09-22 14:54:03

Bruce_M
Website

ngoonee wrote:
Bruce_M wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

I was, for a while. You helped me with Conky previously, Lostandfound I think my nick was there.

Welcome to Arch. How'd the install go? If you haven't yet, be VERY careful with the partitioning, I'm sure you'll want manual, and even on manual I inadvertantly wiped out my home partition once when reinstalling late at night.

Ahhh - well, glad to have helped, I hope it worked, Conky that is. smile

Install not done yet. Going slow as Arch install is not 100% "Install for Dummies" like another well known distro.  From my first post I have further doubts about one of the questions I asked regarding the keyboard.

I have a Microsoft {ducking} Internet Keyboard Pro - Latin American layout. And I'm wondering what I need to use during the install procedure (km) See this post

I always select "manual" partitioning when doing an install, Ubu, Xubu, Debian but DreamLinux was different - the partitions need to be setup first.

I already have my partitions set up and ready to go: sda8 (/, 20G) & 9 (/home, 30G). Once it's set up and functional Xubu goes. And I have my existing "home" and personal files in three places, two of them are NOT on this computer.  Learned that one through Windows. haven't lost a thing with Linux though.  And as for setting up partitions I've been known to set it up, look back out and do it a second or third time "just to make sure".  smile

Have a nice day.
Bruce

#9 2009-09-22 16:29:38

*david_a*

Arch's manual partition is very easy to use for me, EXCEPT one thing: there's a point at which you must go ahead without being able to view what the result will be. I believe it's just after (or while) selecting which partitions should be formatted and which ones should have an existing file system used. You have to be sure in your own mind that you have NOT chosen to "format" something that you only intended to "use as is". If you're not sure, exit the partitioning process and start again.

(And no, I didn't lose any data :-) - I just got a little worried when there was no confirmation dialogue saying something like "please examine your chosen setup before proceeding".)

#10 2009-09-22 20:03:51

Bruce_M
Website

*david_a* wrote:

Arch's manual partition is very easy to use for me, EXCEPT one thing: there's a point at which you must go ahead without being able to view what the result will be. I believe it's just after (or while) selecting which partitions should be formatted and which ones should have an existing file system used. You have to be sure in your own mind that you have NOT chosen to "format" something that you only intended to "use as is". If you're not sure, exit the partitioning process and start again.

(And no, I didn't lose any data :-) - I just got a little worried when there was no confirmation dialogue saying something like "please examine your chosen setup before proceeding".)

Hi David

Interesting,  I just went through the process and didn't need the Partition Editor as my partitions are all formated and set up.
However I didn't see where I could "add" GRUB to my existing GRUB either, and that's probably in the Partition editor.

During the "Install Process" I saw two errors - one for "geoff" or something like that, I only saw it for a second as it disappeared off the top of the screen, the second one was "reiserfsprogs-3.6.21-something_here". Both errors referred to the files being "TRUNCATED".

During the "Configure" process, it didn't accept my "network setup" from the install process to be added.  So I have a partial install that looks OK from here, but with no GRUB, I'm sure SuperGRUB can fix that. But with those two errors and no network connection I have to start over.  Something I'm used to!

Time to start over I guess.  smile

Have a nice day.
Bruce

#11 2009-09-22 20:12:33

*david_a*

I'm a very novice-y user, but I suspect it's possible that if you didn't go through the portion of the Arch installer where you set up your disks, that Arch does not know where some of your things are.

From my point of view, I think it's best to go through the entire install process in order, excepting only those things you do not have. (that is, only skip the disk setup if you truly have no disk. Arch is very laissez-faire - which means to me that when the Arch installer recommends something, it means I *must* do it, or they wouldn't have written anything at all.)  :-)

#12 2009-09-22 21:27:05

Bruce_M
Website

*david_a* wrote:

I'm a very novice-y user, but I suspect it's possible that if you didn't go through the portion of the Arch installer where you set up your disks, that Arch does not know where some of your things are.

From my point of view, I think it's best to go through the entire install process in order, excepting only those things you do not have. (that is, only skip the disk setup if you truly have no disk. Arch is very laissez-faire - which means to me that when the Arch installer recommends something, it means I *must* do it, or they wouldn't have written anything at all.)  :-)

That's what I suspected when I wrote:

However I didn't see where I could "add" GRUB to my existing GRUB either, and that's probably in the Partition editor.

and seeing your:

I believe it's just after (or while) selecting which partitions should be formatted and which ones should have an existing file system used.

That has to be in the Partition Editor as I didn't see that at all.

So I'll do it again.  No short cuts this time. smile

Have a great day.
Bruce

#13 2009-09-23 04:04:41

slightlystoopid

Bruce_M wrote:

However I didn't see where I could "add" GRUB to my existing GRUB either, and that's probably in the Partition editor

Como? Existing grub? As in a separate /boot partition? I don't remember exactly how the installation was labled but I know the first partition editor is just fdisking your drive, so it wouldn't be installing anything yet. Then the next part determines where mount points will be to install your junk, and mkfses if necessary. Then you'll install the core packages, which will install grub. You'll probably want to make sure everything is setup right in /boot/grub/menu.lst. All you have to do is make the changes, there's no defoptions/altoptions/grub-updating to do. if it's still not booting right, run "grub-install /dev/sdx" to (re)install it to the mbr of your drive.

Really, I can understand the Supreme Court's rulings. Afterall, corporations are people just like us, with love and feelings, hopes and dreams, and a limited lifespan to do it all in... oh wait, nevermind. I was thinking of same-sex marriage.

#14 2009-09-23 04:14:47

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Has anyone recommended the Beginners Guide yet which covers the entire installation process?

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#15 2009-09-23 10:07:54

Gen2ly
Website

Hello, Bruce_M seen you on the Ubuntu forums, like your conky-work.

For grub you're gonna have to edit the grub file manually of whatever your default distro (ubuntu?) is.  The installer only installs grub, it won't detect previous grub installs.  Here's the arch entries for grub on my machine.  Obviously, you'll have to edit to fit your partition, uuid.

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/3cdfcc49-eec2-4aa8-8df2-a48712631f03 ro
initrd /boot/kernel26.img

# (1) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux Fallback
root   (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/3cdfcc49-eec2-4aa8-8df2-a48712631f03 ro
initrd /boot/kernel26-fallback.img

Oh, and as Xyne said, I definitely recommend his suggestion.

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#16 2009-09-23 12:50:33

Bruce_M
Website

slightlystoopid wrote:
Bruce_M wrote:

However I didn't see where I could "add" GRUB to my existing GRUB either, and that's probably in the Partition editor

Como? Existing grub? As in a separate /boot partition? I don't remember exactly how the installation was labled but I know the first partition editor is just fdisking your drive, so it wouldn't be installing anything yet. Then the next part determines where mount points will be to install your junk, and mkfses if necessary. Then you'll install the core packages, which will install grub. You'll probably want to make sure everything is setup right in /boot/grub/menu.lst. All you have to do is make the changes, there's no defoptions/altoptions/grub-updating to do. if it's still not booting right, run "grub-install /dev/sdx" to (re)install it to the mbr of your drive.

Not sure of the sequence - but there was a part I "skipped" as the partitions were already set up.  handling Grub must have been in that section.

No problem, I'll start again because of two errors I saw during install - two files were "truncated".  smile

have a nice day.
Que tengas un buen día
Bruce

#17 2009-09-23 14:07:11

Bruce_M
Website

Xyne wrote:

Has anyone recommended the Beginners Guide yet which covers the entire installation process?

Well, I'll be.  smile  That's a huge thank you.

Love article 1.2

DON'T PANIC - Obviously written by Mad's mascot and my hero, Alfred E. Neuman, "What, me worry?"  Let's face it, this is installing a distro on a desktop that already has a working disrto.  I have time - to get things right.

Funny I have read parts of that wiki (The Arch Way) not knowing it was a part of the Beginners Guide.

I got messed up here I think:

*  Option 2: (Recommended) Partition Hard Drives (with cfdisk)

This option will allow for the most robust and customized partitioning solution for your personal needs.

At this point, more advanced GNU/Linux users who are familiar and comfortable with manually partitioning may wish to skip down to D: Select Packages below.

Since everything was set up - I chose to: to skip down to D

I also see, further down in the guide:

Note:  It may be beneficial to make a note of the UUID of the root (/) partition, as this may be required during GRUB configuration.

Since I have your attention, I'll add the quote from: Gen2ly and continue:

Gen2ly wrote:

Hello, Bruce_M seen you on the Ubuntu forums, like your conky-work.

For grub you're gonna have to edit the grub file manually of whatever your default distro (ubuntu?) is.  The installer only installs grub, it won't detect previous grub installs.  Here's the arch entries for grub on my machine.  Obviously, you'll have to edit to fit your partition, uuid.

Thanks Gen2ly, conky is a passion of mine, check my "website" link if you haven't seen Conky Hardcore! - but I regress:

Gentlemen (and or Ladies?) here's the results of "blkid" and my "menu.lst" with what I think might be the right changes:

0 bruloo@bruloo: ~
Wed Sep 23, 10:05 $ blkid
/dev/sda1: UUID="09f6e96c-ed8b-4223-b8d1-a8689cee848f" TYPE="ext3" 
/dev/sda2: UUID="9b681f7a-80f7-44a2-9696-2b6932d795a4" TYPE="ext3" SEC_TYPE="ext2" 
/dev/sda3: TYPE="swap" UUID="89a968b1-9748-461a-baec-5c5ac96772d8" 
/dev/sda5: UUID="16e8b25b-f342-4609-86a5-85573660de5a" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3" 
/dev/sda6: UUID="d5d6090c-a6d7-4b1e-b4eb-4565fdf29bcf" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3" 
/dev/sda7: UUID="b0078ee9-6bfa-4065-906b-62ad78373ccf" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3" 
/dev/sda8: UUID="9b1c185a-21a1-4558-880b-71f36098803d" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3" 
/dev/sda9: UUID="5a667892-a18a-4108-bf46-2188ce1338ed" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3" 
/dev/sda10: UUID="790430b4-8280-4689-a1ec-9ae35964d6c3" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3" 
/dev/sda11: UUID="a1127690-4c8c-416a-87c6-fe4fa73131f7" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3" 
Wed Sep 23, 10:32 $

sda1 & 2 - Xubu 8.10 - running slow
sda3 - swap (2GB)
sda5 - /media/1 <<--- seen by all "distros"
sda6 & 7 - Xubu 8.04-3 - installed recently as 8.10 is acting up!
sda8 & 9 - ARCH - / and /home
sda10 & 11 empty

sda1, 6 8 & 10 = 20GB = /
sda3, 7 9 & 11 = 30GB = /home

And now 8.04, is acting up even worse (simple install basic programs for the net etc., nothing fancy), but ended up requiring a [Ctrl]+d at boot! (does it ever end, so 8.04 is deleted from menu.lst? and I'm running 8.10 - it works but slooooow)

I'm looking at: sda8 for / and 9 for /home so the ending of my menu.lst should liik like this if I'm correct:

## ## End Default Options ##

title        Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-14-generic
uuid        09f6e96c-ed8b-4223-b8d1-a8689cee848f
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-14-generic root=UUID=09f6e96c-ed8b-4223-b8d1-a8689cee848f ro quiet splash 
initrd        /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-14-generic
quiet

title        Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-14-generic (recovery mode)
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-14-generic root=UUID=09f6e96c-ed8b-4223-b8d1-a8689cee848f ro  single

title        Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=09f6e96c-ed8b-4223-b8d1-a8689cee848f ro quiet splash 
initrd        /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic
quiet

title        Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic (recovery mode)
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=09f6e96c-ed8b-4223-b8d1-a8689cee848f ro  single

title        Ubuntu 8.10, memtest86+
kernel        /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux (Main)
root   (hd0,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda8/by-uuid/9b1c185a-21a1-4558-880b-71f36098803d ro vga=773

# (1) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux (Fallback)
root   (hd0,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda8/by-uuid/9b1c185a-21a1-4558-880b-71f36098803d ro vga=773
initrd /boot/kernel26-fallback.img

So what do we think here.

Have a nice day.
Bruce

#18 2009-09-23 14:29:19

stryder

Should be root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/uuidsequence

#19 2009-09-23 18:55:38

Bruce_M
Website

stryder wrote:

Should be root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/uuidsequence

Not sure what you mean, isn't that what I have?

kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 [b]root=/dev/sda8/by-uuid/9b1c185a-21a1-4558-880b-71f36098803d[/b] ro vga=773

root=/dev/
/disk/ = /sda8/
/by-uuid/ = /by-uuid/
and my UUID= /9b1c185a-21a1-4558-880b-71f36098803d

the ro and vga=773 came from the example in the Beginners Guide

title  Arch Linux (Main)
root   (hd0,0) 
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/0ec1-9339.. ro vga=773

Oops, don't want "ro" - read only so change that and vga=773, hmm - 1024x768 framebuffer with 256 color depth

Yea, should dump that for now too.  smile

kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda8/by-uuid/9b1c185a-21a1-4558-880b-71f36098803d

Better?

Have a nice day.
Bruce

#20 2009-09-24 00:04:12

Diaz

you just do

kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/9b1c185a-21a1-4558-880b-71f36098803d ro vga=773

because if you are using uuid to identify the partition you don't use the sda8 reference anymore, forget it.

tongue

#21 2009-09-24 01:16:06

Bruce_M
Website

Diaz wrote:

you just do

kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/9b1c185a-21a1-4558-880b-71f36098803d ro vga=773

because if you are using uuid to identify the partition you don't use the sda8 reference anymore, forget it.

tongue

OHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!  OK!

Options: to use UUID or sdaX

I love options.

Thanks, and I mean a BIG thanks for the heads up!

Have a Great Day.
Bruce

#22 2009-09-24 02:04:01

slightlystoopid

Bruce_M wrote:

Oops, don't want "ro" - read only so change that and vga=773, hmm - 1024x768 framebuffer with 256 color depth

I think removing ro might cause problems if a fsck is necessary, and the grub in the Arch repos comes with this nifty little list for vga:

#  FRAMEBUFFER RESOLUTION SETTINGS
#     +-------------------------------------------------+
#          | 640x480    800x600    1024x768   1280x1024
#      ----+--------------------------------------------
#      256 | 0x301=769  0x303=771  0x305=773   0x307=775
#      32K | 0x310=784  0x313=787  0x316=790   0x319=793
#      64K | 0x311=785  0x314=788  0x317=791   0x31A=794
#      16M | 0x312=786  0x315=789  0x318=792   0x31B=795
#     +-------------------------------------------------+
#  for more details and different resolutions see
#  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Framebuffer_Resolution

#23 2009-09-24 02:56:50

stryder

Bruce_M wrote:

root=/dev/
/disk/ = /sda8/
/by-uuid/ = /by-uuid/

Just so you understand, do

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid

and you will see that your uuid (9b1c185a-21a1-4558-880b-71f36098803d) is actually a link to ../../sda8, ie /dev/sda8.

#24 2009-09-25 13:00:26

Bruce_M
Website

stryder wrote:
Bruce_M wrote:

root=/dev/
/disk/ = /sda8/
/by-uuid/ = /by-uuid/

Just so you understand, do

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid

and you will see that your uuid (9b1c185a-21a1-4558-880b-71f36098803d) is actually a link to ../../sda8, ie /dev/sda8.

Things have changed here:

Fri Sep 25, 09:50 $ blkid
/dev/sda1: UUID="ae70c594-8586-4814-9447-7e4213c43736" TYPE="ext3" 
/dev/sda2: UUID="9b681f7a-80f7-44a2-9696-2b6932d795a4" TYPE="ext3" SEC_TYPE="ext2" 
/dev/sda3: TYPE="swap" UUID="747fb054-397b-4f93-bbfc-014204a921f8" 
/dev/sda5: UUID="16e8b25b-f342-4609-86a5-85573660de5a" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3" 
/dev/sda6: UUID="5d39b4e2-8e98-4712-b5c9-62f2ca1cfc2d" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sda7: UUID="bedc254a-377c-42ac-a018-365e47917ddc" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sda8: UUID="f81fea2e-416b-4d97-bc47-9902effff9d3" TYPE="ext4" 
Fri Sep 25, 09:50 $

I used Xubu 9.04 LiveCD to create the partitions as "Ext4" - got ARCH installed but messed up with GRUB. It looked like it wasn't going to recognize Xubu on sda1&2 so I put GRUB on sda6 = Arch: /, sda7 = Arch /home and sda8 will be a storage partition for Arch

My menu.lst reads:

{snipped for brevity}
## should update-grub add savedefault to the default options
## can be true or false
# savedefault=false

## ## End Default Options ##

title        Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-14-generic
uuid        ae70c594-8586-4814-9447-7e4213c43736
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-14-generic root=UUID=ae70c594-8586-4814-9447-7e4213c43736 ro quiet splash 
quiet

title        Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-14-generic (recovery mode)
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-14-generic root=UUID=ae70c594-8586-4814-9447-7e4213c43736 ro  single

title        Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=ae70c594-8586-4814-9447-7e4213c43736 ro quiet splash 
quiet

title        Ubuntu 8.10, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic (recovery mode)
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=ae70c594-8586-4814-9447-7e4213c43736 ro  single

title        Ubuntu 8.10, memtest86+
kernel        /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
title   Other Linux Systems:
root

title        ARCHlinux @ sda6
root        (hd0,5)
chainlader +1

It doesn't load Arch though.  sad
And Xubu can't read the ext4 partitions.

Still working on it.  smile
I'll have ARCH or die tryin'!!

Have a nice day.
Bruce

#25 2009-09-25 14:24:04

sHyLoCk

Hi Bruce, nice to see you here.

i don't know if this will help but:

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux (Main)
root   (hd0,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda8 ro vga=773

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

Board footer