You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-22 00:04:54

Deiz

NAEV - 2D Space Combat / Trading Game

To quote the website, "NAEV is a 2D space trading and combat game, in a similar vein to Escape Velocity.

NAEV is played from a top-down perspective, featuring fast-paced combat, many ships and outfits, and a large galaxy to explore. The game is highly open-ended, letting players proceed at their own paces."

Downloads are available at our Google Code page, and there's an AUR package as well.

Screenshots:

naev0-small.png naev1-small.png

Gameplay videos are at Youtube, both early and late game. Recorded with glc, which is an awesome piece of software.

0.4.0 is fresh out of the oven, released on September 18th. Four months of development have paid off, in my rather biased opinion.

The Changelog is available for those interested.

NAEV can't use the OpenAL backend with libvorbis <1.2.1, but that's a moot point since Arch makes a point not to package software that's two years out of date.

Code and data are, of course, completely free. GPLv3 code, various licensing on the media (GPLv2, GPLv3, PD, CC-By (and -SA) 3.0).

Our primary communication method is IRC, #naev on Freenode.

#2 2009-09-22 06:38:26

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: NAEV - 2D Space Combat / Trading Game

This looks interesting. I'll have to take a look when I have some time.

After looking at the screenshot though, I have a question. How the fsck can you have 185% Maximum Speed? Does... not... compute.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#3 2009-09-22 07:09:42

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

great stuff, i feel those warm fuzzy Trade Wars 2002 feelings all coming back again :-)

Xyne wrote:

After looking at the screenshot though, I have a question. How the fsck can you have 185% Maximum Speed? Does... not... compute.

Warp 5 mister Zulu?

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#4 2009-09-22 11:25:33

Deiz

Xyne wrote:

Poor choice of wording, I guess. 'Maximum Speed' is the speed the ship will move at indefinitely without thrust. Applying normal thrust allows you to slightly exceed that, and the Hellburner increases that value by 185%, such that a ship that normally moves at 100 speed can move at 285 when afterburning. When you stop afterburning, speed drops back to 100.

Incidentally, gameplay > Newtonian physics.

#5 2009-09-22 13:21:46

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Xyne wrote:

Max normal thrust on the Space Shuttle is 104% with 106 and 109 available in emergency situations.

#6 2009-09-22 14:04:01

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Maximum speed sans engines smile

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#7 2009-09-22 14:07:48

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

My question was rhetorical. I know what they mean (approximately at least), it's just poor wording as noted by Deiz too. I would have used "Maximum Speed Increase: 185%", read as "Maximum (Speed Increase)".

Anyway, it wasn't even important. I only remarked on it because it stood out.

* adds "and Threadjacker Extraordinaire" to previous title of "Reinventor of the Wheel" *

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

Board footer