You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-22 08:35:08

DPatel304

Installing ArchLinx+Guest Additions in Virtual Box(error during guest)

The Arch Linux install seemed to go through smoothly.  I installed it using the wiki page, rebooted, and logged in as root.  I am installing this for a class, so trying to follow the instructions to do so.  Next, we are supposed to install 'Guest Additions' for Virtual box using the instructions below:

Now, you should install "Guest Additions" for VirtualBox. Guest additions allows you to share files between host and guest systems. This is very convenient for development as you will need to copy files back and forth between the host and guest operating systems. You can download Guest Additions at *link*.

You need to start the virtual machine before you can continue installing Guest Additions. To do that, just select your VM name from the list on the left hand side in VirtualBox and click Start. After logging into Arch Linux, you should mount this ISO image just as you had mounted the Arch Linux ISO file. You can then mount the cdrom inside the Guest OS by doing:

mkdir /mnt/cdrom
mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom

Now install the guest additions by doing:

cd /mnt/cdrom
sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run

This will compile and install the kernel modules necessary for Guest Additions functionality. Please note that if you
recompile your own kernel (later as a part of project requirements), you will have to run this again so that the modules are
compiled and installed for the new kernel too.

Under settings for VBox, I mounted the Guest Additions image file, started Arch Linux, logged in as root, and followed the instructions above.  I was able to do all of the above, but when I excute the last line, I am given this message:
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3971/linuxd.png

I have no idea where to go from here, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also,  I feel like I have installed Arch Linux incorrectly.  All the videos and pictures I see show a GUI type interface, but all I am presented with is a text-based interface.  When I boot it up, it asks me to log in, and I am then taken to the command line, but I don't see the same GUI interface everyone else seems to have.  Is this normal for a basic Arch Linux install?  Thanks in advance.

#2 2009-09-22 09:05:12

thisoldman

Re: Installing ArchLinx+Guest Additions in Virtual Box(error during guest)

Arch has no GUI until you install one. Some people don't want a GUI, so it's left to the user. The base install has only a command line interface.

You should probably read the Beginners Guide.

In case you missed them, there's two short articles, also on the wiki that might help you understand Arch, Arch Linux and The Arch Way

#3 2009-09-22 09:08:53

wonder
Developer
Website

install xorg and then gnome or whatever you prefer

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#4 2009-09-22 17:59:42

DPatel304

Oh ok.. thanks.  Well this install is strictly for school, and they did not mention installing a GUI, so I'll just leave it as is.  Can someone help me with the Guest additions install?  Does it look like it finished correctly?

Thanks for your responses so far.

Board footer