You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-22 13:26:11

kaddy

arghhhh im nearly installed... how do i complete it!????

hi peoples..... im new to arch.... i've installed the system.... then i reboot and login with my username and password.... ofcoarse at this moment i havn't got xorg or a desktop environment..... so i try use pacman to install xorg and what not from a video tutorial i saw by typing:  pacman -Syu to update system or/and pacman -S xorg hal kde and i keep getting "xorg package not found, searching for group... error: xorg not found in sync db

how the heck do i install xorg and kde using packman????? why am i getting errors????? Please help????

thanks in advance...
ps... i chose a mirror by deleteing the hash......
what am i doing wrong?????

#2 2009-09-22 13:36:03

rusty99

Re: arghhhh im nearly installed... how do i complete it!????

Did you run pacman -Syy after uncommenting a mirror?

#3 2009-09-22 13:38:41

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

welcome to the forums kaddy smile

the name of the package is "xorg-server", i think the Beginners Guide may need to be updated since it only mentions "xorg". i don't use kde myself, but i believe the base package might be called "kdebase-workspace" (the "kde" package listed in the wiki doesn't seem to apply here as well)..

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#4 2009-09-22 13:39:19

kaddy

yer, just tried.... it says     error: failed retrieving file blah blah from tfp.iinet.net.au transient over and over again

same for every mirror i try..

any suggestions????

#5 2009-09-22 13:56:53

Runiq

Welcome, kaddy.

Do you have your internet connection set up properly? Can you ping sites/mirrors? (e.g.

ping www.archlinux.org

on the commandline)

#6 2009-09-22 13:58:49

kaddy

no matter what i use packman for.... i get the same error.... which is package not found, searching for group... error blah blah : not found in sync db

its almost as if i can't download from the mirror i chose... but i get the same error with EVERY MIRROR!
what the hell!!!?????

#7 2009-09-22 14:13:54

Boris Bolgradov

kaddy wrote:

no matter what i use packman for.... i get the same error.... which is package not found, searching for group... error blah blah : not found in sync db

its almost as if i can't download from the mirror i chose... but i get the same error with EVERY MIRROR!
what the hell!!!?????

Calm down! As Runiq suggested, do you have your internet connection set up properly?

#8 2009-09-22 14:23:17

theringmaster
Website

litemotiv wrote:

the name of the package is "xorg-server", i think the Beginners Guide may need to be updated since it only mentions "xorg". i don't use kde myself, but i believe the base package might be called "kdebase-workspace" (the "kde" package listed in the wiki doesn't seem to apply here as well)..

no "xorg" is a group which installs most of what a person needs for a proper x11 setup.

Check me out on twitter!!! twitter.com/The_Ringmaster

#9 2009-09-22 14:31:59

kaddy

when i try ping www.archlinux.org i get ping: unknown host www.archlinux.org

im using a wired connection with dhcp enabled

Last edited by kaddy (2009-09-22 14:32:43)

#10 2009-09-22 14:43:44

lilsirecho
Veteran

Post your /etc/rc.conf.............

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#11 2009-09-22 15:05:31

Pi

Do you have your hostname setup in /etc/hosts? Is there a light on where the ethernet cable is plugged in?

#12 2009-09-22 15:12:49

kaddy

i can't reallly post the output of my file because im posting from a laptop, and installing on a pc..........

yes i have my hostname setup in /etc/hosts i have it named "archbox"  and yes there is a light on.... but i can't ping anything :ol

#13 2009-09-22 15:13:54

kaddy

and pacman gives me the same darn errors...... package not found, searching for group... error not found in sync db

#14 2009-09-22 15:21:53

perbh

what is the output from 'ifconfig' ?

[edit]
your problem is not pacman or mirrors - your network doesn't work.
no use in trying pacman until you can ping 'www.google.com'
[/edit]

Last edited by perbh (2009-09-22 15:23:22)

#15 2009-09-22 15:25:04

kaddy

arghhhh forget it.... how the heck am i suppose to copy and paste the output from a seperate pc with no internet enabled without typing the whole thing out letter by letter...... arghhh this sux
thanx anyway

#16 2009-09-22 15:26:18

thayer
Fellow
Website

kaddy wrote:

and pacman gives me the same darn errors...... package not found, searching for group... error not found in sync db

and pacman will continue giving you that message until you attain Internet access, which you apparently don't have since you can't ping any websites either.  It sounds like one of two things:  a) the network daemon isn't working for you, or b) your network card drivers weren't loaded automatically. 

Is there anything special about your router and/or home network?  Do you have the IP addresses manually configured for your clients or is everything DHCP?  It would be pretty rare that your NIC drivers are malfunctioning, so I'm thinking it's a network/router issue.  We need more information however to troubleshoot.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#17 2009-09-22 15:29:26

perbh

kaddy wrote:

arghhhh forget it.... how the heck am i suppose to copy and paste the output from a seperate pc with no internet enabled without typing the whole thing out letter by letter...... arghhh this sux
thanx anyway

what about a usb-stick?
hey - don't give up this easily - networking is hardly ever any showstoppers - probably just a stupid mistake somewhere ...

#18 2009-09-22 15:35:37

hbekel

You need to setup up your networking properly. If you have basic connectivity (i.e. you can ping an ip address, such as 66.211.214.131), check wether your /etc/resolv.conf contains a valid nameserver. If not make sure that your dhcp server supplies your client with nameservers, and that your client properly sets up your /etc/resolv.conf. If you can't even ping a plain ip address, check that your network card is properly set up all (ifconfig et al).

You might want to use a usb stick or a similar method to transfer files from your laptop to your pc. This is not too much to ask for, especially since you're already patiently being spoonfed wink

Also don't just follow a (possibly dated) video tutorial, follow the Beginners Guide instead, and keep in mind that the Arch installation is not a passive process but requires you to think along and adjust it to your needs/situation. You should also (at least) read man pacman and understand how it works to be able to use Arch successfully. Apart from that, the wiki most likely contains all the information you need to get you started.

#19 2009-09-22 16:29:56

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

theringmaster wrote:
litemotiv wrote:

no "xorg" is a group which installs most of what a person needs for a proper x11 setup.

ah right, silly of me. wink

i think pacman should mention that when you're searching with -Ss for "xorg", might be time for a feature request

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#20 2009-09-22 16:53:40

kaddy

I used the netinstall iso though as the core iso didn't work for me.... which means i downloaded every package and installed it......... so if my problem is with internet connection.... then how the heck did i get this far????

#21 2009-09-22 17:22:12

perbh

*sigh* because it has changed from the install-cd to what you are booting now.
Why don't you follow the umpteen suggestions here? Give us /etc/rc.local, /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/hosts and the output from 'ifconfig' (if its not too much to ask).

#22 2009-09-22 17:36:51

dmartins

You might be able to fix this yourself if you'd stop using so many question marks in your posts. Haven't you heard that the leading cause of brain damage is the excessive use of punctuation?

Anyways, here's some examples of a working config using DHCP:

/etc/rc.conf:

eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(eth0)
gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

/etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1        localhost.localdomain    localhost sirschmoopy

/etc/resolv.conf:

nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220
nameserver 192.168.48.1

#23 2009-09-22 19:38:46

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

If I counted correctly, eleven people stepped up to try and assist you with your problem, (which is very likely trivial to solve).
Rather than giving up and effectively wasting everyone's time (including your own), why not supply the details which have been requested, and/or read the Beginners' Guide in the wiki? smile

#24 2009-09-22 20:51:47

Runiq

kaddy wrote:

I used the netinstall iso though as the core iso didn't work for me.... which means i downloaded every package and installed it......... so if my problem is with internet connection.... then how the heck did i get this far????

I had the same issue with my wireless card; it worked well until after the installation. I got it to work finally, and since Wireless is usually harder to set up than ethernet, you'll very likely be able to get this thing working.

If you have a USB pendrive mounted, just copy the above-mentioned files (rc.local, resolve.conf etc.)  over. You can also redirect the output of the ifconfig command like this:

ifconfig > /mnt/my-ifconfig

This creates a file called my-ifconfig in your /mnt directory.

With this, you should be able to get the files over to your windows machine and into this forum. Good luck, have fun and don't give up, you'll probably facepalm yourself as soon as you have the solution (I'm sure I did).

Last edited by Runiq (2009-09-22 20:56:42)

#25 2009-09-23 00:04:38

kaddy

its all good now, i reinstalled it and followed instructions again..... dunno what i did different, but it works
just installing xorg hal kde

i'll keep u posted.
thanx for the replies anyways guys

Board footer