You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-22 21:19:48

Wikimig
Developer
Website

Arch64: wine won't launch exe on NTFS partitions but will do on reiser

Hi everyone!

OK, this is an other issue with wine and x64 (2.6.30). I say another because I saw that a lot of us have issues with wine and x64 that end up being answered "wine and 32 bit applications under x64 architecture won't do fine" but this one is driving me nuts: it looks like i'm not far away from making it.

My problem is: wine can't launch applications if the exe is on my NTFS partition but will do if the same exe is on one of my reiserfs partition.

ie:

[miguel@WKM_MSI ~]$ wine /mnt/win_NTFS/WINDOWS/NOTEPAD.EXE
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x0044b6ab at address 0x44b6ab (thread 0009), starting debugger...
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000028 at address 0x7eb73c83 (thread 0018), starting debugger...
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000028 at address 0x7eb67c83 (thread 001c), starting debugger...
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000028 at address 0x7eb67c83 (thread 001e), starting debugger...
^C

I get the usual wine popup saying that "NOTEPAD.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close" (http://img410.imageshack.us/i/ekrangrnts1.png/)

But:

[miguel@WKM_MSI ~]$ cp /mnt/win_NTFS/WINDOWS/NOTEPAD.EXE /mnt/my_reiserfs_partition/
[miguel@WKM_MSI ~]$ wine /mnt/my_reiserfs_partition/NOTEPAD.EXE

And NOTEPAD works like a charm!

To answer usual questions:
    - I gave each bin32-wine* package a try, even some old versions but none make any difference
    - all lib32-* packages are installed (except for community/lib32-libgl and community/lib32-nvidia-utils which would conflict with my aur/lib32-nvidia-utils-beta)
    - I tried several nvidia configuration but it really doesn't look like a video driver issue... rather a 64 problem
    - I installed many things throught winetricks such as DirectX etc...
    - I didn't find any similar issue on google

Here is how I mount my partitions if you think that could come from some right issues:

[miguel@WKM_MSI ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
[...]
/dev/sda1               /mnt/win_NTFS            ntfs-3g         users,locale=en_US.utf8      0       0
/dev/sda8               /mnt/my_reiserfs_partition  reiserfs        defaults                            0       0

Some threads with similar problems but no mention of the "partition behavior"
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=60639
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=80394
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=80703

Any clue would be apreciated!

Cheers!

(and keep on the good job smile )

#2 2009-09-24 17:29:26

slightlystoopid

Re: Arch64: wine won't launch exe on NTFS partitions but will do on reiser

the users option in fstab only allows mounting and unmounting of filesystems. if you haven't chown/chmoded the mount point, you might try adding the option "umask=2" to grant all users r-x privileges.

One nation, under the corporatocracy, indivisible, with liberty for them.

Really, I can understand the Supreme Court's rulings. Afterall, corporations are people just like us, with love and feelings, hopes and dreams, and a limited lifespan to do it all in... oh wait, nevermind. I was thinking of same-sex marriage.

#3 2009-09-24 21:56:32

Wikimig
Developer
Website

Re: Arch64: wine won't launch exe on NTFS partitions but will do on reiser

Hi Slightlystoopid!

Thanks for the idea but that doesn't look like it. I tried the "umask" but no luck!

Actually the line I quoted in the original post was already "experimental". My usual fstab before I tried this one was:

/dev/sda1       /mnt/win_NTFS                ntfs-3g         users,uid=1000,gid=100,fmask=0113,dmask=0002,locale=fr_FR.utf8          0       0
/dev/sda8       /mnt/my_reiserfs_partition   reiserfs        defaults                                                                0       0

That gives me:

[root@WKM_MSI miguel]# ll /mnt/
total 8.0K
drwxrwxr-x  1 miguel users 8.0K 2009-09-23 10:42 win_NTFS
drwxrwxrwx 12 root   root   384 2009-09-23 10:33 my_reiserfs_partition
[...]

Which doesn't work neither!

BTW as we talk about it: "my_reiserfs_partition" is owned by root! Isn't it a security issue? I mean: I can read/write/execute on it as regular user but shouldn't it be mounted with the same rights as /mnt/win_NTFS?

Still interested in any piece of advice on the original issue smile !

Board footer