You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-22 22:32:37

q1jack

Newcomer looking for some tips!

Hey, I'm new to Arch(and linux in general), I am looking for some tips/tricks/howtwo's/tutorials/ebooks that anyone could recommend for a linux newbie like myself, I'm very eager to learn about both arch and linux in general. So arch forums, please help thou!

Kind regards, Jack.

#2 2009-09-22 22:34:11

fijam
Website

Re: Newcomer looking for some tips!

#3 2009-09-22 22:47:02

q1jack

Awesome thanks fijam, I had only seen the beginners wiki previous to that, will defo give it a read!

Keep em coming archers! <3

#4 2009-09-22 22:49:19

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

First lesson, go to wiki/google BEFORE coming to forums. Even IRC is preferable to forums (depending what time it is)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2009-09-22 22:50:50

sand_man

ngoonee wrote:

First lesson, go to wiki/google BEFORE coming to forums. Even IRC is preferable to forums (depending what time it is)

Really? I can imagine most people in the irc channel just referring to the wiki anyway.

If you have any specific questions that you can't find the answer to, feel free to post them here.

neutral

#6 2009-09-22 22:51:49

Lich

http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/abs-guide.pdf
A hard copy of that sits right next to my Bible (and that's not even a joke). I suggest you do the same. If you can't spare the cash for printing, having it open and learning from it is ok too I guess smile.
No Linux user should go on without atleast basic knowledge of  the wonderful world of shell scripting.

Last edited by Lich (2009-09-22 22:52:39)

Archlinux | ratpoison + evilwm | urxvtc | tmux

#7 2009-09-22 22:53:00

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

ngoonee wrote:

Even IRC is preferable to forums (depending what time it is)

No, it really isn't, unless there's some temporal sweetspot that I have yet to find.
My impression of the IRC channel has been generally negative.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#8 2009-09-22 23:11:54

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

sand_man wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

Really? I can imagine most people in the irc channel just referring to the wiki anyway.

Perhaps my grammar was bad. I meant it in this sense:-

wiki/google > IRC > forum

And Xyne, most times I've gotten help from the IRC. As long as there isn't already a discussion going on, where my questions get lost in the maze. YMMV though, I think it does depend heavily on what time of the day it is (working hours for westerners are my sleeping time, after all).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#9 2009-09-23 01:16:34

japetto

The Archlinux IRC Channel is (same as any other IRC channel) as useful as those who are on it at any given time.  I suppose you do roll the dice when attempting to access help.

And to q1jack, I strongly recommend the rute users guide to start.  It's a great read for beginners.  Enjoy Arch, and Linux wink

#10 2009-09-23 02:38:02

q1jack

japetto wrote:

The Archlinux IRC Channel is (same as any other IRC channel) as useful as those who are on it at any given time.  I suppose you do roll the dice when attempting to access help.

And to q1jack, I strongly recommend the rute users guide to start.  It's a great read for beginners.  Enjoy Arch, and Linux wink

thats brilliant, looks like a great read, going to start tomorrow!

thankyou to everyone so far, I'm enjoying linux/arch more and more by the day, awesome community, awesome distro.. What more can i ask for? smile

#11 2009-09-23 04:48:26

slightlystoopid

http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Command-She … 047025128X
I wish I had read that book when I FIRST started with linux. would have saved A LOT of headache.

Last edited by slightlystoopid (2009-09-23 04:49:53)

One nation, under the corporatocracy, indivisible, with liberty for them.

Really, I can understand the Supreme Court's rulings. Afterall, corporations are people just like us, with love and feelings, hopes and dreams, and a limited lifespan to do it all in... oh wait, nevermind. I was thinking of same-sex marriage.

#12 2009-09-23 06:55:23

xd-0
Website

Welcome to the forum! smile

* The best way to learn is to test everything you find interesting. Test all the windowmanagers, all the different musicplayers, applications etc.
* Find new things to do and then try to do them. Best way is to browse all the wikis and forums you can find and then google for help.
* Finally, find the way you like things to work and then make your Arch Linux system work that way.

And if you can't find the solution to some of your problems, then ask smart and polite questions in IRC or on the forum. And if possible try to find out as much info you can that could help us help you (before you post).

#13 2009-09-23 14:01:04

dobedo

Plenty of documentation here also: http://www.linuxtopia.org/

Board footer