#1 2009-09-24 19:29:54

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

CONFIG_NF_CT_ACCT is deprecated and will be removed soon

dmesg wrote:

CONFIG_NF_CT_ACCT is deprecated and will be removed soon. Please use
nf_conntrack.acct=1 kernel paramater, acct=1 nf_conntrack module option or
sysctl net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_acct=1 to enable it.

I just noticed this today in dmesg and wanted to check if it's a known "issue". It's probably been there for a while and I"m not really concerned at this point.

I'm just curious. Is it an upstream issue or a package configuration issue?
Should I just continue to ignore it?

Last edited by Xyne (2009-09-24 21:37:29)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#2 2009-09-24 23:07:47

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: CONFIG_NF_CT_ACCT is deprecated and will be removed soon

It seems like an upstream thing, change in the way things are configured.
I'm not even close to an expert in this but seems like what is/was a kernel configuration option (during compile) will now be configured in another way. It may be one more thing to look into when setting things for iptables.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2009-09-24 23:40:29

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

That option is set in the configuration file supplied by Arch but this may either be newer than the latest kernel or dependent on something else upstream. I'm just trying to figure out what needs to be done, if anything, pre-emptively.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#4 2009-09-25 15:28:33

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Maybe someone with more knowledge in this can clarify it but to me it seems to be something like this:

Before that option(?) needed to be defined at compile time and was either always on or always off.

Now it seems it's an option that can be passed to the module, and it can be configured in the way it is stated in the log. If anything the deprecated option now just sets the default behavior.

nf_conntrack.acct=1 -> configured in /etc/sysctl.conf, set automatically when the computer boots.
acct=1 nf_conntrack -> module option, used in modprobe.conf (just like any other module option)
sysctl net.netfilter.nf_conntrack_acct=1 -> alternate way to change some kernel options after the computer boots, must like nf_conntrack.acct=1

At least it's the way I see it, I guess it's another thing to go into the wiki (iptables page). Oh and now I'll have to see what that option does because I have no idea what it's for tongue

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer