You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-25 00:37:16

Bloody_Mat

[SOLVED]installed, where do i go from here?

Ive got it completely installed now, ive read the wiki and guides and dont understand them, how do i get lxde and openbox so i can have a regular desktop?

Last edited by Bloody_Mat (2009-09-25 04:34:02)

Here I stand, here I remain

#2 2009-09-25 00:48:46

sHyLoCk

Re: [SOLVED]installed, where do i go from here?

Bloody_Mat wrote:

Ive got it completely installed now, ive read the wiki and guides and dont understand them, how do i get lxde and openbox so i can have a regular desktop?

pacman -S lxde gamin  [as root]
echo "exec ck-launch-session startlxde" >> ~/.xinitrc [as regular user]

Please re-read this again. It's quite simple.

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#3 2009-09-25 01:30:28

sand_man

Bloody_Mat wrote:

What you should be asking about are the things you don't understand. If you don't learn the basics now, you will not get very far.

neutral

#4 2009-09-25 01:54:09

q1jack

I found with the wiki you need to really read each peice through, At first I thought i would not be able to succeed, but i stuck to it using the beginners wiki, And now I'm sorted I could not be happier, Just stick at it and im sure you will do it fine! smile

#5 2009-09-25 02:17:37

stryder

Question is, have you got X installed and running?

#6 2009-09-25 03:18:30

Bloody_Mat

i did use that the root "pacman -Sy lxde gamin" it said updating or loading or something like that, and wouldnt go further, and no, i dont have X installed, i thought that thats what lxde and openbox were for

#7 2009-09-25 03:20:13

sHyLoCk

Bloody_Mat wrote:

i did use that the root "pacman -Sy lxde gamin" it said updating or loading or something like that, and wouldnt go further, and no, i dont have X installed, i thought that thats what lxde and openbox were for

You seriously need to study the Beginner's guide.

~ Regards,
sHy

#8 2009-09-25 03:25:00

Bloody_Mat

ive read it, and im an avid reader so i know what to look for, as far i could see there was nothing there that explained my problem, ive stated in every post that ive read BOTH the installation guide, and the beginners guide and still couldnt find anything, thats why im asking in the forums, im running off a live cd of ubuntu so i can access the internet, yea i may be new to linux, but im trying to learn everything i can

#9 2009-09-25 03:31:23

some-guy94

pacman -S xorg

#10 2009-09-25 03:42:00

sHyLoCk

Bloody_Mat wrote:

ive read it, and im an avid reader so i know what to look for, as far i could see there was nothing there that explained my problem, ive stated in every post that ive read BOTH the installation guide, and the beginners guide and still couldnt find anything, thats why im asking in the forums, im running off a live cd of ubuntu so i can access the internet, yea i may be new to linux, but im trying to learn everything i can

Didn't mean to offend you. See if you don't read the guide prperly you will face a lot of problems in each steps. Anyway, to start you up:

pacman -S xorg-server xorg-xinit xf86-input-keyboard xf86-input-mouse xf86-input-evdev hal dbus xorg

Which was there in the wiki btw! tongue

~ Regards,
sHy

#11 2009-09-25 04:28:37

Bloody_Mat

then they need to label things differently =p and its not a problem, i just hate when things dont work the way there sposed to

#12 2009-09-25 04:34:37

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Bloody_Mat wrote:

then they need to label things differently =p and its not a problem, i just hate when things dont work the way there sposed to

If it doesn't make sense to you, then change it. It's a wiki after all.

And most new Arch-ers read it, follow it, and things work. It is just possible that 'things' are working, and you may have made a mistake in your reading. Perhaps applying speed-reading techniques?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#13 2009-09-25 04:44:52

Bloody_Mat

i dont change wikis, because for the most part they are written by people more educated in the subject matter than i am, except for those ones about tree octopi and jedi squirrels, so thanks for yours and everyones help, been posting a bit on the forums and thanks for putting up with me. haha

btw, would anyone be offended if i said "The Game"?

#14 2009-09-25 04:59:50

sand_man

Bloody_Mat wrote:

btw, would anyone be offended if i said "The Game"?

Yes. Stop it. tongue

neutral

#15 2009-09-25 05:52:37

chender
Website

Just catching up here.  I have to say the arch wiki is outstanding.  I am a command line neophyte (Linux 2 years) but I got through the install process just fine using the beginnners guide.  I think the key is reading it all the way through and reading each step, to determine how it applies.  Its pretty clear that xorg is needed before lxde for example, but not if you jump straight to the lxde bit.

--
thinkpad X60s [t400s coming soon] | archlinux i686 | xmonad | dmenu |

Board footer