You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-26 08:39:17

semitone36

System load fails after configuring splashy

Hey archers!

I was attempting to make my boot screen a little more exciting today but i seem to have gotten myself into a jam.  I followed the Splashy wiki (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Splashy) where it told me to add "splashy" to the hooks array in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and when I issued the mkinitcpio -p command i got a few errors about files that didnt exist when it was parsing the splashy hook (in hindsight i should have paid more attention!) but the program reported that it had successfully built the boot images so i assumed it wouldnt be a problem.

Anyways so I rebooted and now i get about 70 rc.sysinit error messages about files not existing and my system just sorta hangs after that. sad  I have a spare Ubuntu disk around that i can use to access and edit my Arch files but i cant rebuild the boot image (to my knowledge) without issuing mkinitcpio -p (not possible in a live cd, i tried). Does anybody have any ideas on how I can undo this?  Id rather not have to reinstall if possible

#2 2009-09-26 09:53:52

loafer

Re: System load fails after configuring splashy

You probably need to chroot into the system first, then issue the mkinitcpio -p command.

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#3 2009-09-27 00:25:55

semitone36

Thanks for the reply loafer, I can now add chroot to my growing list of commands i understand smile.  Unfortunately its not working:

ubuntu@ubuntu: /media/disk-1$ sudo chroot /media/disk-1 mkinitcpio -p kernel26
==> Building image "default"
==> Running command /sbin/mkinitcpio -k 2.6.30-ARCH -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g 
/boot/kernel26.img
:: Begin build
/sbin/mkinitcpio: line 253: /dev/null: Permission denied
FATAL: Hook 'base' can not be found
==> FAIL

I dont want to be a help vampire or anything but Im really out of my league here... Can anybody help me out or give me a link?

#4 2009-09-27 11:19:04

loafer

Hi, the following guide may help.  You will obviously need to edit the paths in the article to fit your Arch install.

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Chroot_from_a_livecd

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#5 2009-09-27 19:17:36

semitone36

Alright we are starting to get somewhere...

After chrooting i was able to repair the arch-fallback image but not the main image (for reasons unknown to me).  Booting the main image resulted in a kernel panic so i booted the fallback and tried running mkinitcpio -p from there.  Now, when i try to boot the main boot image, it loads my filesystem as read-only and drops me into a maintenance shell exactly like the fallback image does.  /boot/grub/menu.lst shows that when i select Arch linux in grub it DOES read the 'kernel26.img' file and not 'kernel26-fallback.img'.

Any ideas?  Im gonna start reading up on how mkinitcpio generates images...

#6 2009-09-28 01:05:14

semitone36

Sigh, no luck.  Well i appreciate your help I definitely learned a lot from this experience.  But with Monday around the corner I really need my laptop back so Im gonna go with reinstalling.

Board footer