You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-26 10:35:13

davvil

uswsusp + power consumption

I recently switched to the uswsusp method for hibernating (suspend to disk) via the uswsusp-fbsplash package from AUR. However I observed that when suspending (to disk), the laptop still cosumes power. As an example I suspended it yesterday night and today in the morning, it had consumed 7% of the battery charge.

As far as I can tell the process works ok, the system reports that it is writing x pages to disk and the it switches off. All leds are turned off, not like when suspending to RAM, where the corresponding led is on. And resumption works also flawlessly. I had not observed this behaviour with the "vanilla method" (i.e. calling pm-hibernate without any further tweaking). I switched to uswsusp mainly because the speed is much better, but if it consumes power it of course defeats the whole idea.

Further information: Lenovo T500 laptop, x86_64 installation, kernel 2.6.31-ARCH (from testing).

#2 2009-09-26 11:07:05

Solid1986Snake

Re: uswsusp + power consumption

I think suspend to disk should not need any power.... maybe its more the self discharging of your notebooks battery?

#3 2009-09-26 11:15:48

davvil

Re: uswsusp + power consumption

Solid1986Snake wrote:

I think suspend to disk should not need any power.... maybe its more the self discharging of your notebooks battery?

Nope. If I turn it off (via halt) it takes DAYS to use up 1% of the battery. So it is definitely an issue with the change to uswsusp.

Board footer