You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-26 14:05:37

SirEdgar2nd

Arch64 + /opt/arch32 + Pacman32 permission and other confusing things

Alright, yesterday I decided I'd try and do this to get some 32 bit applications (WINE, second life (Linux Version(I didn't like OMVviewer too well...), and any other 32 bit ONLY app)). So I tried to follow what was said here in the wiki:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arc … bit_system And here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch32.

Now I keep ggetting permission errors with pacman32, occasionally it says, "bash: pacman32: command not found," and other little things...except for 1 of the shell windows, it works fine... hmm And I have like 4 of these terminals open, and in one of them 4 other tabs. I honestly have no clue what I am doing thusfar. @_@; This is long...REALLY long its just all the commands I've entered thus far...

I wanted pacman32 so I could use it while in 64 bit to install apps from a 64 bit environment, but it doesn't seem necessary since it appears to be possible to install 32 bit apps if I just chroot (or I believe they are 32 bit..) into arch32.... but I was told pacman only see's 64 bit apps by someone else and that is what pacman32 is for which leads to even more confusion since I keep getting all these weird errors and pacman 32 only wants to work in one terminal and not lal the others (which I still have open).

Now prepare for something really long below all of this @_@; I don't know how to explain this any better...

http://pastebin.com/m46a5bccb

And if this information doesn't help ask me for any bit of information you may or may not need, okay? o_o

Last edited by SirEdgar2nd (2009-09-26 15:00:50)

#2 2009-09-26 21:46:42

Gen2ly
Website

Re: Arch64 + /opt/arch32 + Pacman32 permission and other confusing things

What exactly are you trying to do?  I haven't tried this, but what reason are you not using bin32-wine with 32bit libs?  I haven't had any problems with it.  Played Warcraft a few other games and does fine.

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#3 2009-09-26 22:15:19

SirEdgar2nd

Re: Arch64 + /opt/arch32 + Pacman32 permission and other confusing things

Gen2ly wrote:

What exactly are you trying to do?  I haven't tried this, but what reason are you not using bin32-wine with 32bit libs?  I haven't had any problems with it.  Played Warcraft a few other games and does fine.

Okay, I haven't used a 64 bit system before (except for windows, and maybe the macs at school hmm) and wasn't sure how to do the multilib installation since I have never done that before either and wasn't sure if something would be overwritten or screw up if I did something wrong. I was told it be 'cleaner' to do this. So I decided I'd go with this, all I know is, I am confused and keep getting all sorts of issues that is just confusing me further. @_@ The obvious course of action to me seems to just delete everything related to what I just did, remove pacman32, and reverse any configuration change I made (which I remember so far)... but I am not sure if that is wise. hmm I'm more or less a noob to Linux in general, like I started TRYING to use the OS last year, but recently got a good working machine without issues (like crashing from overheatting, and other stuff) so my linux usage as increased since then. So forgive me if I sound stupid. tongue

Although the fact that I started this makes me want to finish it if possible so I can get a usable 32 bit chroot or something. Hmm, whatever I guess hmm

Edit: Okay, I decided to say remove the chroot, having too many difficulties for it to be worth it at this precise moment in time. And takes much more space. So I decided i'd go with the multilib method.

As in, I can't rub sudo properly under it (and modifying it through visudo without error is difficult since it reacts in an odd manner). pacman32 won't work properly, and then I learned that if I wanted to load programs from the chroot I'd had to go into the chroot everytime, which sounds like a very annoying inconvenience.

If I misunderstood any of this, or if I discover I am wrong I'll modify this to say otherwise, and possibly try this again in the future.

Last edited by SirEdgar2nd (2009-09-27 23:08:59)

Board footer