You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-27 19:04:39

Bloody_Mat

.rpm files, how do i install/download/open them?

i found a couple GTK themes i like for lxde but i have no idea how to install from the .rpm files that they are, anything special i have to do?

Here I stand, here I remain

#2 2009-09-27 19:06:52

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Re: .rpm files, how do i install/download/open them?

Before you start hacking up rpm's, have you checked the AUR ?
Chances are good that what you are looking for is there.

#3 2009-09-27 19:10:11

Bloody_Mat

is there an easier way to install gtk themes?

#4 2009-09-27 19:12:55

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Bloody_Mat wrote:

is there an easier way to install gtk themes?

Easier than pacman and the AUR? Have you looked into it? If the theme is not in community, look in the AUR unsupported. If you have not installed anything from the AUR yet, have a look at the wiki page...it's dead simple. You'll have it mastered in no time.

Look at the Beginners' Guide appendix; introduction to the AUR.

#5 2009-09-27 19:28:52

tomk
Forum Fellow

Any gtk themes I liked that weren't already packaged for Arch were in tar.gz - where are you getting these rpms? Can you not get the original source archive from e.g. gnome-look, or somewhere?

#6 2009-09-27 19:31:37

Bloody_Mat

I found them on a site that picked the top 18 themes.
I looked in AUR dont have any themes i like, and it honestly seems lke to much of a hassle to use them,  have to save it to a build directory, makepkg and stuff, i just want to install and use lxappearance to change between them, how can i do that?

#7 2009-09-27 20:09:56

drtoki

Bloody_Mat wrote:

I looked in AUR dont have any themes i like, and it honestly seems lke to much of a hassle to use them,  have to save it to a build directory, makepkg and stuff, i just want to install and use lxappearance to change between them, how can i do that?

pacman -S lxappearance will install lxappearance

#8 2009-09-27 20:12:22

Runiq

Bloody_Mat wrote:

It's like this:

1. You download the tar.gz.
2. You extract it: tar xf <theme.tar.gz>.
3. You cd into the untarred directory and do makepkg -sirc.
4. Start lxappearance.
5. ????
6. PROFIT!

Last edited by Runiq (2009-09-27 20:13:09)

#9 2009-09-27 20:18:51

Bloody_Mat

ok i downloaded the theme i want (wii black), when i tried extracting it using what you gave it said no such directory exists.  it creates a new folder under my username named downloads, but thats it
why is this so complicated?...

Last edited by Bloody_Mat (2009-09-27 20:20:56)

#10 2009-09-27 20:40:09

Runiq

Bloody_Mat wrote:

ok i downloaded the theme i want (wii black), when i tried extracting it using what you gave it said no such directory exists.  it creates a new folder under my username named downloads, but thats it
why is this so complicated?...

It's not that complicated. As soon as you get it to work once, you'll probably find it to be pretty easy. smile Read over the AUR wiki page again, it explains a lot of nifty stuff.

The instructions I gave you are for a theme downloaded from the AUR - if you download a package from the aur and extract it, you should always end up with a directory that is named like the package itself (for example: I download abt-gtk-theme.tar.gz from its AUR page and extract it. What I get is a directory that goes by the name of abt-gtk-theme. I cd into that directory, where I find a PKGBUILD. Seeing the PKGBUILD tells me 'Oh, so this is the place where I should start makepkg.', so I run makepkg -sirc (the -sirc are just some options I like to add, they aren't necessary, but they save me some steps). Makepkg installs necessary dependencies, builds the package, installs it and cleans up.

Really, though, read the AUR wiki page, it explains things a lot better than I could ever hope to.

If you downloaded your package from somewhere else, the process will be different. You'll probably have to put the theme directory (probably the "wii-black" directory, the one that has another directory named "gtk-2.0" in it) into /usr/share/themes. After that, the theme should appear in lxappearance's theme list.

Last edited by Runiq (2009-09-27 20:41:07)

#11 2009-09-27 21:07:56

stefanwilkens

"wii-black" is available on gnome-look.org:
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show. … tent=45829

this file is in .tar.gz format, this solves our .rmp hassle. You will also not have to muck about with the AUR to install a simple GTK theme.

if you're not a Gnome user (and hence not have the fancy gnome automated gtk theme installer) you will have to extract the gtk theme to the proper location. These, to my knowledge, are:
$HOME/.themes/ (only for current user )
/usr/share/themes/ ( for system-wide install )

note that you can't simply extract the .tar.gz there, you will have to check for the proper folder structure in these directories. I'm not a GUi user myself, so you will have to do this last bit of research yourself or with the help of a GUI person on these forums smile

Last edited by stefanwilkens (2009-09-27 21:09:06)

Arch i686 on Phenom X4 | GTX760

#12 2009-09-27 21:19:45

tomk
Forum Fellow

OK.. some confusion here, as it seems we're no longer talking about RPMS - right?

I found that top themes site you were talking about, clicked the download link for Wii Black, and it brought me to gnome-look, where it started downloading a tar.gz. As you're finding the AUR too goddamn complicated, you can opt instead to untar this file into either your ~/.themes dir (create it if you don't have it) or /usr/share/themes, as above. lxappearance will see the theme from there.

Board footer