You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-28 02:22:37

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Stripping down mkinitcpio, how to remove udev?

I've tried loading almost every fs-related module from lsmod in MODULES in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, but as long as I remove udev from HOOKS my image is unbootable, hanging on finding the root FS (which happens to be ext4).

Is this possible? I was thinking it is referring to this (admittedly old) blog-post

The other thing that comes to mind, do I need static udev to do this?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2009-09-28 10:13:54

EVRAMP
Website

Re: Stripping down mkinitcpio, how to remove udev?

You will also need modules for your HDD (sg, scsi_mod, sd_mod, libata, ...) and perhaps many more.

#3 2009-09-28 10:23:53

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

You need static dev. What you don't need is autodetection.

And, the fs module is not as important as the controller module. Make sure to load that and whatever is dependent. Check modules.dep.

Just remember that you need all the modules for your boot disk, and nothing else.

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#4 2009-09-28 10:37:26

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

schivmeister wrote:

You need static dev. What you don't need is autodetection.

Uhhuh, that's what I figured. Oh well, maybe some other day on the static udev smile.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer