You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-28 12:02:14

kyletreubig

External Monitor

Hi,

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite A305 laptop with an external monitor, running Arch Linux.  I don't have Arch configured to start a desktop environment on start-up (so I can choose which one to use), but rather login to the command line first (and I don't always want a full desktop environment).  I have the laptop "docked" in the sense that I'm using all external peripherals and the laptop is closed and on the shelf.

If I power on the laptop with the external monitor already plugged in, I get the output/command line on the external monitor.  This is what I want, but I'd like to know how to choose the display device (internal LCD or external VGA) when I'm not running in an X environment with xorg.  For example, if the laptop is already on and I'd like to move it to my desk and "dock it" with the external monitor, or to "undock it" if it is already plugged in to the external monitor.  This is my first question.

My second question is this.  The scenario is that I've already got the Arch command line running on the external monitor and I start a desktop environment (GNOME, for example) and have it working perfectly with the external monitor.  When I quit the X environment (either by ctrl+alt+backspace or through the GNOME menu), the command line environment isn't displayed on the external monitor, but rather on the internal LCD.  How do I tell Arch to resume the displaying of the command line on the external monitor when I leave the X environment?

I'd be content with using a command to set the output device (the answer to my first question) to reset the external monitor display after leaving an X environment (problem in the second question).

thanks in advance for any assistance,

Kyle

#2 2009-10-01 14:40:41

kyletreubig

Re: External Monitor

I have an ATI Radeon HD 3650 video card, if that makes a difference.

Again, what I need is a way to set the output monitor from the command line with no X environment.  I know how to use xrandr once I'm in a desktop environment, but I want to do the same thing (or similar) when I'm in a command line environment.

thanks

Kyle

Board footer