You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-28 18:56:33

dragos240

Links, cannot open GPM mouse?

Hi,

I'm trying to use links -g with my framefuffer, I have it all set, I can use fbi. But links doesn't want to cooperate. It always does this sad. Does anyone have an explanaion? I am on a netbook and I am using a touchpad, and at my other house (which has the same issue) I am using a usb mouse.

#2 2009-09-28 18:59:14

Lich

Re: Links, cannot open GPM mouse?

dragos240 wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to use links -g with my framefuffer, I have it all set, I can use fbi. But links doesn't want to cooperate. It always does this sad. Does anyone have an explanaion? I am on a netbook and I am using a touchpad, and at my other house (which has the same issue) I am using a usb mouse.

Is gpm running? It doesn't give you a cursor just like that, you have to start gpm...Quickest way to test is to actually look if you got a cursor in the console...gpm is a console thing, not a links one.

Last edited by Lich (2009-09-28 19:00:13)

Archlinux | ratpoison + evilwm | urxvtc | tmux

#3 2009-09-28 19:18:20

dragos240

Lich wrote:
dragos240 wrote:

Hi,

Is gpm running? It doesn't give you a cursor just like that, you have to start gpm...Quickest way to test is to actually look if you got a cursor in the console...gpm is a console thing, not a links one.

I ran it with gpm, and now it "could not get VT mode".

#4 2009-09-29 10:42:38

Lich

dragos240 wrote:
Lich wrote:
dragos240 wrote:

Hi,

Sounds like a permissions issue. Try running it as root and see if that works, and we'll take it from there.

#5 2009-09-29 11:26:09

dragos240

Lich wrote:
dragos240 wrote:
Lich wrote:

Sounds like a permissions issue. Try running it as root and see if that works, and we'll take it from there.

Funny, since I run ALL my programs from root, and don't have a non-privileged user. So yes, I already ran this from root.

#6 2009-09-29 11:55:25

sHyLoCk

Read this.

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#7 2009-09-29 12:01:26

Lich

dragos240 wrote:

Funny, since I run ALL my programs from root, and don't have a non-privileged user. So yes, I already ran this from root.

That's the biggest NO-NO in the Linux world, apart from `sudo rm -rf /`

#8 2009-09-29 14:58:26

dragos240

sHyLoCk wrote:

Read this.

Thanks

That's the biggest NO-NO in the Linux world, apart from `sudo rm -rf /

I know this. But everything is so much easier, No more sudo this or su -c 'that'. And yes rm -rf / is bad bad bad!

#9 2009-09-29 15:06:12

sHyLoCk

dragos240 wrote:
sHyLoCk wrote:

Read this.

Thanks

I know this. But everything is so much easier, No more sudo this or su -c 'that'. And yes rm -rf / is bad bad bad!

Hi. Try opening vlc.

Good luck

~ Regards,
sHy
ArchBang: Yet another Distro for Allan to break.
Blog | GIT | Forum (。◕‿◕。)

#10 2009-09-29 16:19:51

Lich

dragos240 wrote:
sHyLoCk wrote:

Read this.

Thanks

Seriouslly, never put confort before security when it comes to linux... I strongly suggest you start using sudo and a normal user

Board footer