You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-29 07:13:09

soylent_green_is_hamster

.sub to .srt

Does anyone know a linux tool to convert .sub/.idx subtitle files to .srt?

cheers

#2 2009-09-29 07:33:15

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: .sub to .srt

use the search, there's a ton of results in google, even some from bbs.archlinux.org

and there's a package in aur called sub2srt which i found within 60 seconds after seeing your topic title

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#3 2009-09-29 08:44:58

soylent_green_is_hamster

wow - what a useless reply, "use the search"

here's what happenend when I used search to find the answer
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=9770

the thread was inexplicably locked...

also sub2srt doesn't support .idx files, making your reply completely worthless... well done

#4 2009-09-29 09:30:02

Rasi
Website

avidemux can do it.
You will find it in the menu under Tools

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#5 2009-09-29 09:38:32

soylent_green_is_hamster

reading the avidemux wiki now, looks like it'll do the job

great - thanks Rasi!

#6 2009-09-29 09:44:13

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

soylent_green_is_hamster wrote:

reading the avidemux wiki now, looks like it'll do the job

yeah that was the second hit in my google results, you can mark this topic [solved] now and be on your way.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#7 2009-09-29 09:44:23

Allan
Pacman
Website

I searched for "convert .sub/.idx subtitle files to .srt" in google and the first hit pointed me to avidemux.  Seems you should stop being sarcastic and try helping yourself.

#8 2009-09-29 09:44:48

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

[...]

also sub2srt doesn't support .idx files, making your reply completely worthless... well done

If you had indicated you had already looked elsewhere (if that is the case), you would have saved him from typing up that reply wink. So instead of sh*tting on someone because he makes valid suggestions, you should be clearer in your opening post. You might want to consider that next time you lump a new topic together.

Telling people what you already tried will save them the time suggesting it.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#9 2009-09-29 10:57:44

soylent_green_is_hamster

What is the point of having a forum if all you get is "use google" replies. Almost any problem can be solved with the use of google, but the point of a forum like this is to get answers from people who already know.

The initial request was a perfectly reasonable one (and has been asked before here and gone unsolved), but if you disagree, why not just ignore it. Smart-arse replies, (that are actually wrong) help noone

pathetic.....goodbye

(thanks again to Rasi for actually helping me)

#10 2009-09-29 11:06:41

Allan
Pacman
Website

What is the point of having a forum if all you get is "use google" replies. Almost any problem can be solved with the use of google, but the point of a forum like this is to get answers from people who already know.

So what you are telling us, is that you would prefer to have us solve all your problems without you doing anything to help yourself...

#11 2009-09-30 02:52:19

Xiong Chiamiov
Website

In fact, the point of a forum is *not* to get answers that Google easily provides.  You may be confusing this with Yahoo! Answers.

The initial request was a perfectly reasonable one (and has been asked before here and gone unsolved), but if you disagree, why not just ignore it. Smart-arse replies, (that are actually wrong) help noone

They were intended to help you, whether you recognize that or not.  "Help" means more than just "give answers to", and implies the betterment of the individual being helped.  We would like to make you more able to solve problems on your own, and gave responses meant to do that.

pathetic.....goodbye

In case you haven't learned it from other technical communities, help vampires are not missed.

#12 2009-09-30 13:34:14

luppy

In fact, the point of a forum is *not* to get answers that Google easily provides.  You may be confusing this with Yahoo! Answers.

at what point did he originally refer that WAS the point of a forum, if you read correctly you'll notice that he was saying what's the point of someone saying "use google" which anyway you look at it is not not help!

why on earth people have this stupid forum mentatlity of "I can't answer your question so I will either a) tell you to look elsewhere b) ask you why you are doing it.

According to the "Forum Etiquette" it is acceptable to ask this type of question on this forum as long as it isn't cross posting and in this scenario that thread was locked and unanswered (and from 2005).  Someone coming along and giving you some information along with a snide comment comment (which if you look is not acceptable under the "no trolling" part) is not helpful and purely troll incitement.

If someone posts a question I evaluate it (be it this or any forum) if I think that person is lazy or is maybe new or doesn't know how to search I do not condemn them I would simply not post, but contrary to this I usually do help them without any snide comments.

If someone initiates some kind of offense (in this case a snide comment or something that can be deemed to be more likely taken the wrong way) then what do you expect especially if they couldn't be bothered to check they information they gave... simply don't post

PS this post also breaks the 'forum etiquette' by being a rant but scene as so many other members/admin/moderators have I don't see whyI shouldn't smile

#13 2009-09-30 15:29:01

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

luppy wrote:

at what point did he originally refer that WAS the point of a forum, if you read correctly you'll notice that he was saying what's the point of someone saying "use google" which anyway you look at it is not not help!

why on earth people have this stupid forum mentatlity of "I can't answer your question so I will either a) tell you to look elsewhere b) ask you why you are doing it.

According to the "Forum Etiquette" it is acceptable to ask this type of question on this forum as long as it isn't cross posting and in this scenario that thread was locked and unanswered (and from 2005).  Someone coming along and giving you some information along with a snide comment comment (which if you look is not acceptable under the "no trolling" part) is not helpful and purely troll incitement.

If someone posts a question I evaluate it (be it this or any forum) if I think that person is lazy or is maybe new or doesn't know how to search I do not condemn them I would simply not post, but contrary to this I usually do help them without any snide comments.

If someone initiates some kind of offense (in this case a snide comment or something that can be deemed to be more likely taken the wrong way) then what do you expect especially if they couldn't be bothered to check they information they gave... simply don't post

PS this post also breaks the 'forum etiquette' by being a rant but scene as so many other members/admin/moderators have I don't see whyI shouldn't smile

episode_ii_attack_of_the_clones_star_wars_poste_poster-p228214609687012475qzz0_400.jpg

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#14 2009-09-30 15:34:43

Gen2ly
Website

Haven't read the help vampire thing. smile  Was a help vampire when I first started, JTWIG. big_smile.  Probably no use on commenting on this as predicting it will be closed.

Last edited by Gen2ly (2009-09-30 15:35:08)

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#15 2009-09-30 15:37:11

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Guys, the point is clear, let's move on smile

luppy wrote:

Mods and admins are here to keep the peace and order. You aren't wink.

On that note - I'm shutting this down, this thread has definitely run its course.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer