You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-16 03:47:38

sud_crow
Website

using keyboard scancodes with hotkeys?

Hello everyone...

im getting some time to get Arch back on track, and im trying to make work some of the hotkeys that are not recognized by Xbindkeys or Lineak, so googling i found this page:

http://www.win.tue.nl/%7Eaeb/linux/kbd/ … html#ss5.4

Where there is a list of the scancodes for my keyboard... the problem is i dont know how to "convert" those "scancodes" to the "keycodes" needed by xbindkeys or lineak....

scancode> e0 10   (where the numbers are different for every key)

xbindkey> m:0x10 c:230 (where, usually, the number after de c: changes along with the key)
lineak> 230 (number means key)

Any tips on this?
Thanks in advance

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#2 2004-11-16 07:30:22

poetofnumbers
Website

Re: using keyboard scancodes with hotkeys?

If you are looking to find out what keycodes correspond to what keys on your keyboard, run showkey.  I seem to only be able to run showkeys outside of X.  And as the program will tell you, do not press any keys for 10 seconds to exit.

Drew
Knowledge Brings Fear

Sweet, now I can play with myself.

#3 2004-11-16 09:01:59

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

xmodmap

Mr Green

#4 2004-11-16 11:15:03

lanrat

sud_crow wrote:

Where there is a list of the scancodes for my keyboard... the problem is i dont know how to "convert" those "scancodes" to the "keycodes" needed by xbindkeys or lineak....

Recently I've been able to fully map all special keys (including f-locked Fkeys) in my logitech wireless desktop mx keyboard (with mx 7000 mouse).
It takes some time and a lot of patience and google searches :-)

First, there are 3 types of keycodes (whatever they should be called - I'm simplifing it here a little):
- scancodes (extra keys with e0.. - hex values)
- keycodes (as seen by kernel - decimal values)
- x keycodes (as seen by x - decimal values) 
The last two may be the same or completly different - this is how it is :-)and it depends on many things.

First you should check if your kernel has all extra keys scancodes mapped to keycodes.

If a scancode does not have a keycode (kernel) assigned you should see this in your kernel log in /var/log (hex scancode and some info). So just run this log thrugh tail program and press each extra key (write down scancodes that are not recognized). I believe xbindkeys already has a special option for displaying scancodes and keycodes builtin (check manual - it's -k probably but you need to prepare minimum config first). (BTW whoever wrote showkeys is crazy. You have to be quake master to catch the scrolling codes... ;-)).

If you have some scancodes without keycodes (kernel) assigned you should map it with setkeycodes during boot proces (rc.local is a good place). They can't be mapped to any keycode - you have to use unused keycode - more info and links to docs in man setkeycodes.

Now you should check how X assigns its own keycodes to your extra keys. You can do this with xev (run it from xterm and press keys over xev window). These are the keycodes you should use.

Meanwhile you can map your x keycodes to symbols (thats what non standard x keyboard map is doing). You can modify this map but IMO the easiest method is to use xmodmap from .xinitrc or something like his.
If you are using an advanced dm/wm it's probably possible to use extra keys without xbindkeys/lineakd - you should see them as the symbols - like HomePage, Shopping etc. - in some configuration wizard).

Now you should be able to use all your extra keys with bindkeys/lineakd. I'm using lineakd becase it can use xosd very easy and has nice alsamixer macros.  I'm planning to try xbindkeys because lineakd is not as stable as I want it too (this however may be my fault - I'm still investigating this).

I can't give you more details now because I don't have an access to my arch box with everything configured but I can do this later if you want me to.

#5 2004-11-16 11:22:45

poetofnumbers
Website

While I am crazy, you do not need to be a quake master to benefit from showkey.  At least on my machine, when I run showkey outside of X, I only get two messages when I enter a key:  Keycode xxx was pressed and Keycode xxx was released.  So as long as I don't fall asleep on my keyboard, I have plenty of time to read the message, take a nap, and later write down the message.

Drew
Knowledge Brings Fear

Sweet, now I can play with myself.

#6 2004-11-16 12:18:25

lanrat

poetofnumbers wrote:

While I am crazy, you do not need to be a quake master to benefit from showkey.  At least on my machine, when I run showkey outside of X, I only get two messages when I enter a key:  Keycode xxx was pressed and Keycode xxx was released.  So as long as I don't fall asleep on my keyboard, I have plenty of time to read the message, take a nap, and later write down the message.

Drew
Knowledge Brings Fear

lol

Perhaps showkey works different with and without x. I used it only under xterm so maybe it is my fault. Nevermind - there are many ways to check the scancodes...

#7 2004-11-16 13:19:10

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

xev

Mr Green

Board footer