You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-30 14:57:53

xp-lover

OLD Thinkpad install with USB CDROM

I saw the ascending graph of Arch on Distrowatch and decided to try Arch with some knowledge of linux commandline etc. I am using Mint for few years but that is a different experience.
Coming to this story, The TP  S30  is p3 with 256 mb ram, 80 GB HDD and a USB CDROM attached to USB port. I booted the Arch CDrom and after the initial booting it started the second stage booting and gave the now infamous tty CDROM could not be found message. This message is littered on google so everyone must be aware of it.  It looks like the kernel can not find the CD to initialize the vmlinez or initrd etc at the second stage.
So far only low end distros gave me this kernel panic in the two stage booting process.
My question is if Arch kernel is excluding the USB CDROM recognition at some stage or something interferes the mounting process during the booting. Is there any other way to overcome this. Like copying the ISO on fat32 partition and initiating it with live CD command etc. Can some one help me so that at least I can see the face of Arch Linux in my lifetime?

Another query is why this does not happen with Slackware, Fedora or UBUNTU, Debian Mandriva?

#2 2009-09-30 15:22:03

kjon

Re: OLD Thinkpad install with USB CDROM

I guess you should download the 'isolinux' version of the install cd. It works better with older hw.

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

#3 2009-10-09 08:14:27

jhp

Re: OLD Thinkpad install with USB CDROM

I have a similar problem here installing on a Toshiba 3110CT which uses a pcmcia cd-drive. I'll try the full ISO, but it would be useful to know if it's possible to copy the contents of the installer CD to a USB stick and pick up the installation from there when it craps out with the 'waiting 30 seconds for /dev/archiso' message.

Anyone have any ideas on achieving this?

Board footer