You are not logged in.

#1 2003-07-18 23:11:28

Gyroplast
Website

How to contribute translations

G'morning!

If you feel up to translating the official documentation of Arch Linux into a yet uncovered language, I'd love to hear from you and help if there are any questions. To simply get started without further babble, you should head over to http://archlinux.veloxis.de/official/ and grab the latest and greatest LaTeX source package from there on which you can and should base your translation on. It's quite easy to handle, even if you never used TeX or LaTeX before, and the scripts you need to generate HTML and ASCII from the sources are included as courtesy copies. smile

Don't wait, start working on your translation today and make sure you post what you're working on so others don't reinvent the wheel at the same time.

Thanks,
  Dennis

"That's the problem with good advice. Nobody wants to hear it."
-- Dogbert

#2 2003-07-19 14:53:12

Mork II

Re: How to contribute translations

I plan to start working on a swedish (and maybe finnish) translation in a few days. I was only waiting for the new version.

The point of this post was actually to ask you to post post a changelog here (or send an email to each translator) every time you change the document.

#3 2003-07-19 17:38:13

nifan

im going to translate the docs to portuguese, not yet but in the next one or tweo weeks im gonna put my hands on the job. btw jlvsimoes will help me to smile i hope

______
"Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil." - Plato

#4 2003-07-19 20:39:25

sud_crow
Website

All right.

I already started with the old docs, moving to this one now.
mmm... more lines added...mmm... wink

thanks for the "copies" wink

-- Spanish translation in progress
-- Traducción al español en progreso

--- Im already at the FTP install subsection.
--- Ya voy por la subseccion instalacion desde FTP

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#5 2003-07-19 22:40:52

Gyroplast
Website

Wonderful! That's quite a bit of languages already! smile

As Mork pointed out, there needs to be some sort of central changelog to make sure every translator is kept up to date. As all this organisational stuff is still in the works, I cannot yet tell you how it's gonna work out, but orelien suggested putting the docs into the CVS, which sounds like a very good idea to me. Combined with a mailing list, this is probably optimal. Until something specific is worked out, though, I'd say don't care too much about getting the latest version of the docs right now. I'll make sure that the "Changes" section in the documentation itself reflects all changes I made, so you can easily catch up when you find the time to update your translations. Additionally, I won't update the docs more often than, say, once a week unless something is so utterly, critically wrong that it needs to be fixed right away, which should offer plenty of time to integrate the changes into the translations and maybe even allow for a sort of fixed update schedule. We'll see how that works out and adapt when it sucks.

So, right now you might want to simply send me an email (dennis@archlinux.org) if you want to be notified of any changes to the documentation, and I'll take care that you will stay right up to date. That should do until we've got something better.

Thanks,
  Dennis

-- Dogbert

#6 2003-07-20 03:18:47

sud_crow
Website

Well, thats a great idea... now i will have to learn CVS... XML and i dont know what else...
Apart from LaTeX, and scripting...

damn, this is getting good...!  8)  hehe, i love it.

Leonardo Andrés Gallego

#7 2003-08-09 13:20:47

Gyroplast
Website

A new version of the official docs can be found on http://archlinux.veloxis.de/official/ with sources. Furthermore it'd be nice if any translator would actually do send me his email address, I felt pretty stupid telling only Nifan about this by email. smile

Greets,
  Dennis

-- Dogbert

#8 2003-12-03 11:17:37

hughchen
Website

Hi,All,
Tonight,I finally got LaTeX support CJK andI'd like to translation the ArchLinux document into chinese.It may be available in about 2-3 weeks!

#9 2003-12-04 19:05:51

linfocito

I'm starting a portuguese translation. I am not confliting with Nifan's one. The point is that Brazillian portuguese is kind of different from that spoken in Portugal, particularly for computer terms.

ex: File - in Brazil we say Arquivo, in Portugal they say Ficheiro ( as far as I know)

"...archoholism is a hard disease to cure..."
Archlinux Brasil

#10 2003-12-04 19:17:32

jlvsimoes
Website

linfocito thank you finaly someone gets my point thank you thank you thank you

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GU/ d- s: a- C L U P+ L+++ E--- W+
N 0+ K- W-- !O !M V-- PS+ PE- V++ PGP T 5 Z+ R* TV+ B+
DI-- D- G-- e-- h! r++ z+ z*
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

#11 2003-12-04 20:26:03

nifan

yes portuguese anda brazilian portuguese can be quite diferent, and its kind of annoing to read something that's not really our language. well it is but a bit od tongue

btw i hope i get the right mood to review the pt_PT translation and submit it :oops:

/me is so fuckin lazzy

P.S. the translation is not only mine, jlvsimoes also helped alot, like 50%  wink

______
"Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil." - Plato

#12 2004-06-27 10:39:44

dipp

Mork II wrote:

I plan to start working on a swedish (and maybe finnish) translation in a few days. I was only waiting for the new version.

The point of this post was actually to ask you to post post a changelog here (or send an email to each translator) every time you change the document.

How is your translation coming? Cause I have already translated roughly half of the Installation documentation into swedish. I am planning to release an early beta of it this coming week.

"Teaching should be such that what is offered is perceived as a valuable gift and not as a hard duty." -- Albert Einstein

#13 2004-06-27 13:39:56

KalephOne

linfocito, if you need some help with the pt_BR translation, i'm here to help  big_smile

Kaleph
jabber: kaleph@jabber.org

#14 2004-06-27 19:32:52

linfocito

KalephOne wrote:

linfocito, if you need some help with the pt_BR translation, i'm here to help  big_smile

Well I wasn´t using Archlinux ultimately (trying Crux for a while) but I´m back. As soon I start the translations I´ll let you know.

Archlinux Brasil

#15 2004-08-13 07:23:45

linfocito

linfocito wrote:
KalephOne wrote:

Well I wasn´t using Archlinux ultimately (trying Crux for a while) but I´m back. As soon I start the translations I´ll let you know.

Well, I've started it !

Archlinux Brasil

#16 2005-06-16 00:49:55

whisky
Website

I am doing the translation to Traditional Chinese (Taiwan) of the Arch Documentation (Wiki + Install Guide + other man/tutorial pages).

But htere is one thing that really bothers me a lot.. Which licence use all these Docs? I mean, should I put a licence line in every doc, like in the Wikipedia (common creative license?) or what? And, do I have the right to replicate (copy/paste) the entire wiki and translate them to chinese and post them in other place/site?

#17 2005-06-17 01:45:16

sud_crow
Website

Hi, if i were you, i would start using some other Wiki system, the official Arch Wiki might migrate to mediawiki, because of the problems they had to organize phpwiki.

Also, i just realized they removed the translated documentation links from the front page to the tranlated docs in the Wiki, but the Spanish one, which was for 0.5 is missing... i' lll look a bit more and post something if i dont find it

oh, and about the docs license, good point! dont know it smile

Leonardo Andrés Gallego

#18 2005-10-21 08:20:02

s0lar

I can translate to Dutch but never used LaTex and html skills are sucky.

#19 2006-01-08 19:41:47

Malcolm
Website

I can translate to Russian, but I never use LaTex...

#20 2006-01-08 21:24:46

arooaroo
Website

Then get over to this bad-ass site for taking you to zero-to-hero in LaTeX skills smile

#21 2006-01-28 21:51:28

hotsauce

or go to www.lyx.org if you feel lazy...

#22 2006-01-28 21:53:33

hotsauce

oh! and by the way. My wife has almost convinced me to finally try and give something back to the community. Since I'm not too much of a techie, I thought I could try and translate something.  French would be the language.  I'm just wondering if there actually would be an interest and/or need for this.  Also, what's the priority? Installation documentation?

Thanx

#23 2006-01-28 22:46:30

arooaroo
Website

hotsauce wrote:

oh! and by the way. My wife has almost convinced me to finally try and give something back to the community. Since I'm not too much of a techie, I thought I could try and translate something.  French would be the language.  I'm just wondering if there actually would be an interest and/or need for this.  Also, what's the priority? Installation documentation?

Thanx

Why not try pages of interest on the wiki?

#24 2006-01-29 00:03:09

hotsauce

Why not try pages of interest on the wiki?

I'm not sure I get what you mean. Is there a "pages of interest" on the wiki or do you encourage me to translate whatever page interests me on the wiki?

Thanx

Edit: I noticed this was a resurected thread. I<ll try to read a bit and find out who<s in charge of docs and translations. Sorry for the trouble.

#25 2006-01-29 12:17:01

arooaroo
Website

hotsauce wrote:

...or do you encourage me to translate whatever page interests me on the wiki?

That's the one smile

In my mind, contributions should be "fun", or as fun as possible. This means working on elements that you find interesting.

As you've set yourself the task of translating, then you may feel that the best place to start are pages dedicated to the installation of Arch Linux, and therefore start translating those wiki pages. Or, perhaps you are interested more in multimedia, and so wish to translate wiki pages on getting sound/video running smoothly, etc, etc.

Board footer