You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-17 18:26:48

riddler

[SEARCH] Mplayer <1.x

Hi there!
I'm looking for a package of Mplayer lower than 1.x, that means 0.9x or something.
The reason is that I have very much trouble playing video cds, but not with 0.9x. I had this package once, but I can't find it anymore.

So if anybody could help, it would be nice.
regards

#2 2004-11-17 20:05:15

riddler

Re: [SEARCH] Mplayer <1.x

It would be helpful too, if somebody could explain me why mplayer doesn't never find my cdrom-device. Last week I was able to play svcds and vcds, but some days ago I updatet mplayer, and this is the result:

when I do:

mplayer vcd://1 -cdrom-device /dev/cdroms/cdrom0

and I get this:

MPlayer 1.0pre5-3.4.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team

CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon 4 /Athlon MP/XP Palomino 1533 MHz (Family: 6, Stepping: 2)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
Compiled with runtime CPU detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with --disable-runtime-cpudetection.
Reading config file /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf: No such file or directory
Reading config file /home/riddler/.mplayer/config
Warning unknown option dvd_device at line 2
Warning unknown option cdrom_device at line 3
Reading /home/riddler/.mplayer/codecs.conf: Can't open '/home/riddler/.mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
Reading /etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: Can't open '/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
Using built-in default codecs.conf.
font: can't open file: /home/riddler/.mplayer/font/font.desc
Font /usr/share/mplayer/font/font.desc loaded successfully! (206 chars)
Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set 1024): Permission denied
Try adding "echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq" to your system startup scripts.
Using usleep() timing
Can't open input config file /home/riddler/.mplayer/input.conf: No such file or directory
Can't open input config file /etc/mplayer/input.conf: No such file or directory
Falling back on default (hardcoded) input config

Playing vcd://1.
CD-ROM Device '/dev/cdroms/cdrom0' not found.
Failed to open vcd://1

Exiting... (End of file)

The Device is absolutely correct, but I've no clue why he is not playing.
With Mplayer 0.93 every ran fine.

I tried to build the package myself, but I got a Compiler-Error when he compiled libavcodec, which I allready have installed. Installing from cvs is also useless, because there are not all packages anymore available.

Thx @ all, riddler

#3 2004-11-17 20:16:12

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

do you have read permissions on the drive? if you keep an updated system, make sure you belong to the optical group - check the newsletter and forums and things (search for optical)...

#4 2004-11-17 20:35:33

riddler

phrakture wrote:

do you have read permissions on the drive? if you keep an updated system, make sure you belong to the optical group - check the newsletter and forums and things (search for optical)...

OMG, your my rescue smile

I did a chmod -R 777 on every cdrom-drive, and it worked! Easy solution, but thank you very much!

#5 2004-11-17 20:40:12

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I wouldn't use that as a permanent fix... here's the real way to do it.  Groups were changed a week or so ago, so disk drives are no longer owned by the users group.  They have their own optical group.

from the newsletter: http://www.archlinux.org/~jason/newslet … ov-14.html

New groups in default install: audio and optical

The latest filesystem package provides two new groups by default: audio and optical.

These are provided for users who have sound cards and/or DVD/CD-RW devices in their computers. To allow your regular user to access the device, simply add yourself to the audio and optical groups, and logout and back in.

# gpasswd -a johndoe audio # gpasswd -a johndoe optical
    The latest udev.permissions file will grant permissions to sound devices by default, but you're required to take an extra step to set up permissions on your DVD/CD-RW drive. Since Arch doesn't know which hdX device is your optical drive, the default udev.permissions does not assign any of them to the optical group. To point it to the right drive, create a file called /etc/udev/permissions.d/00.permissions (you shouldn't edit the existing udev.permissions, it may be overwritten in the future) and add the following line:

hdc:root:optical:0660
    (obviously, we're using /dev/hdc as an example here)

If you'd like to have a /dev/dvd symlink to the proper device, you can create a /etc/udev/rules.d/00.rules file that has something like the following:

KERNEL="hdc", NAME="hdc", SYMLINK="dvd"

Then reboot or restart udev:

# /etc/start_udev # mount /dev/pts # mount /dev/shm
    I know many of you probably already have an audio group or the like. If you do, you can continue using your own group and ignore these instructions.

#6 2004-11-18 08:00:31

robot5x

The source for 0.93 is available on the mplayer download page -
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design … tml#source

Board footer