You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-03 03:04:28

Seguer

pacman/cpan and Shepherd

Hi guys,

I've been attempting to install Shepherd (http://svn.whuffy.com/wiki/Installation) for a bit now and have had no success, beyond creating a shepherd user account and successfully wget'ing the shepherd perl script. I've been attempting to cpan its required dependencies, but it never works - cpan get sto the end of the cycle (I assume) and says that make was bad/didn't work. At first I realised I didn't have make, so I installed it using pacman and tried again, but the same thing happens.

Then I tried this http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/communi … tc-15.html which actually has commands for using pacman related libs where possible (instead of cpan), however this results in many of the packages not being found.

Anyone had any experience getting shepherd to work in Arch?

Thanks!

#2 2009-10-03 04:55:46

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: pacman/cpan and Shepherd

I installed this once...   from memory, every perl dep I needed was in the repos.

Which ones are you missing?  Our perl packages are named different, but similar so you should be able to trac them down.

#3 2009-10-03 05:26:13

Seguer

Alright so I managed to find XMLTV in pacman, but I started going down the list and couldn't find any more:

(cpan)
Ask Algorithm
Diff Compress
Zlib Cwd Data
Dumper Date
Manip Getopt
Long List
Compare LWP
UserAgent POSIX Digest
SHA1

DateTime
Format
Strptime File
Basename File
Path GD HTML
Entities HTML
TokeParser HTML
TreeBuilder IO
File Storable Time
HiRes XML
DOM XML
DOM
NodeList XML
Simple Storable HTTP
Cookies File
Basename LWP
ConnCache GD Digest
MD5 Archive
Zip IO
String DateTime
Format
Strptime JavaScript

I'm not even sure if the XMLTV I downloaded/installed was for perl? How do I find these using pacman, or even using cpan (tried using cpan and oftentimes it says it doesn't know what it is, so it can't find it?)

#4 2009-10-06 11:48:48

LarryBari

Hey,
I have installed Shepherd on Arch 64 for use in Freevo.
I had trouble at first with this until I realised that I didn't have a number of dependencies for using and installing perl modules using cpan.
Try

sudo pacman -Sy base-devel

for make gcc etc.
Then I believe I ran through the required deps first of all on the shepherd/install website.
Some of the perl dependencies can be installed via specific perl modules packages in the AUR.
I never did get Javascript to install but I still get fairly good info on programs when i run shepherd.

#5 2009-10-06 12:01:51

Seguer

Thanks Larry - I'm installing base-devel now. How do you equate the perl dependencies from the shepherd list, with packages from the AUR? I tried a sample search for the Ask Algorithm one, but couldn't find it at all.

EDIT: Lol, oops. They are listed as XMLTV::Ask and Algorithm::Diff etc... the :: is not the separator! Oops. The required list in cpan is now installing stuff, so hopefully it all works!

Last edited by Seguer (2009-10-06 12:12:59)

#6 2009-10-07 11:56:48

LarryBari

Yes, I am also fairly new to Linux (well a couple of years of dabbling may be called new...) and don't know much about perl and using cpan.  I had a look at the package list on the Arch web page and found perl-algorithm-diff from a simple perl search.
I am not sure which others can be installed using the repos.  Then you may try the AUR, or just go straight to using cpan.
Hope it all works for ya mate, coz it's a pretty handy little program.
Let us know if you can get the Javascript module to install.
Larry

#7 2009-10-07 11:59:34

Seguer

Yeah JavaScript wouldn't install for me either. Not sure it matters *shrug*. Shepherd runs now, though I think one of the grabbers is sort of choking and dying, but thankfully others are picking up the slack.

Now I just need some way to get the output.xml accessible from a Win XP machine, or to copy it out to a Win XP machine. Wouldn't happen to know how to do that, Larry? I'm fairly sure it's something to do with NFS or Samba, but I haven't yet spent much time looking into it.

EDIT: Maybe if I say everything I want done at once....

Basically, I'd like to run the VM on my PVR machine (probably on startup).

Then when Arch loads, autologin as the shepherd user, run shepherd, and when done, shutdown the Arch/the VM. Somewhere before the shutdown the output.xml should probably be copied back to the host machine (PVR machine).

Any ideas? big_smile

Last edited by Seguer (2009-10-07 12:23:15)

#8 2009-10-07 12:30:11

LarryBari

Hey Seguer you have special powers...
I have been working on this very question just recently and have been able to access the arch pc via an xp pc.
Install samba is the way to go.
I have an auto DHCP with my router which is hooked up to an el cheapo network hub.
Set up a simple /etc/samba/smb.conf making sure the workgroup is correct.
I set up share security so anyone can access my shares which aren't all that "hush hush" music, pictures, media etc. so I don't really care.
If you do this, you need to run the commands

smbpasswd -a nobody
smbpasswd -n nobody

so that anyone on the network can see files in the samba share. ( I'm pretty sure they're the commands, just check the output of them; you may need to create a nobody user).
Set up your shared dir and chang permissions to 777 using chmod so that it can actually be accessed by someone other than your current user.
My /etc/samba/smb.conf looks like this

[global]
workgroup = HOME
server string = %h HTPC in the lounge
netbios name = WETLAND
security = share
guest account = nobody
interfaces = eth0

[music]
comment = shared music
path = /home/freevo/music
#available = yes
browsable = yes
writable = yes
guest ok = yes

You can then make sure samba starts at boot by adding samba to daemons in rc.conf
You can enable logging in to share via password and using a specifier user if you wnat.  Read samba wiki for more info on that.
All the best smile Larry

#9 2009-10-07 13:20:43

Seguer

Isn't that the reverse though? Arch is going to run in a VM on my HTPC, and only long enough for shepherd to do it's thing. I'd prefer to share a folder in my host HTPC machine, and have Arch copy the finished output.xml to that share.

#10 2009-10-08 07:00:44

Seguer

Alright, update:

I now have a mounted share in Arch that is a folder in my PVR machine. Hurray!

I've also created a bash script that runs shepherd --daily, copies the output to that mount, and then runs shutdown -h now

One last thing: how do I run this bash script on user login, and how do I get my shepherd user to automatically login?

EDIT: Ok so it looks like automatic login is done via mingetty (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Aut … on_startup) except pacman -S mingetty tells me it isn't found, even thought it is in the AUR (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=13793). How do I download that from the AUR and install it?

Last edited by Seguer (2009-10-08 11:58:46)

#11 2009-10-10 08:25:02

Seguer

Agh, ok, so I managed to install mingetty but I screwed up editing my /etc/inittab (forgot a single space!! argh) and now it won't boot.

How do I fix /etc/inittab?

#12 2009-10-11 01:03:18

Seguer

Ok so apparently you need to boot into the Live CD and mount the old root, then chroot and you can access the old filesystem.

What am I meant to be mounting when I'm in root@archiso from the Live CD?

#13 2009-10-11 01:14:29

Garns

Probably sda[somenumber], but this totally depends on how you formatted your disk during install.

If you just want to edit a config file you don't have to chroot, just mount the partition somewhere and edit the file. If you are unsure which partition your root partition is just mount them one after another until you find it.

#14 2009-10-11 01:25:18

Seguer

Garns wrote:

Probably sda[somenumber], but this totally depends on how you formatted your disk during install.

If you just want to edit a config file you don't have to chroot, just mount the partition somewhere and edit the file. If you are unsure which partition your root partition is just mount them one after another until you find it.

What exactly should I be typing? I've found http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reinstalling_GRUB but

mount -t ext3   /dev/sda1 /mnt

(and changing sda to 0-3...)

results in "wrong fs type, or bad superblock"

sda0: special device doesn't exist
sda2: same as sda1 (wrong fs type etc)

#15 2009-10-16 04:24:47

Seguer

*bump*

Still getting errors from attempting to mount from a LiveCD...

Board footer