You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-03 15:27:51

Luis Sousa

Some delays i dont understand...

Hello everyone. This is my first post, i think smile Fisrt of all, thanks to the developers, Arch is an amazing distro! I installed it a few months ago, but due to some minor issues, never deleted Ubuntu. So, i have some questions that maybe someone has encoutered also:
- after starting shiretoko browser, the first time i click the right mouse button, it takes about 5 secs to open the menu, its very annouying...
- in evolution mail, when i check mail, it takes 10 secs or more to connect to servers. In thunderbird mail this does not happen...
- should i use local or utc time? in local time it forwards my clock 1 hour, dont know why (ive dual boot whit ubuntu, problem?)...
Many thanks to the excellent community of arch users...

XP -> Ubuntu -> Arch

#2 2009-10-03 16:03:24

Runiq

Re: Some delays i dont understand...

Luis Sousa wrote:

- should i use local or utc time? in local time it forwards my clock 1 hour, dont know why (ive dual boot whit ubuntu, problem?)...
Many thanks to the excellent community of arch users...

Welcome on the forums!

Unless you dualboot with Windows, you'll probably want to use UTC. With UTC, the hardware clock doesn't care about timezones or daylight savings time, instead it lets the system handle these things. You might have to adjust your hardware clock, though, either by setting it in the BIOS or by using the hwclock command (careful with that!). This shouldn't be a problem since there are a lot of sites out there where you can get the current UTC time (e.g. this one).

Edit: I didn't read carefully enough, again. :-/ Since you were using Ubuntu, your hardware clock is probably already using UTC time – that's why your clock was incorrect with the localtime setting.

Last edited by Runiq (2009-10-03 16:05:30)

#3 2009-10-03 17:07:59

Luis Sousa

Thanks for replying, Runiq... ive changed to UTC, it seems that its holding on ok... About the other 2 topics, ive also disabled ipv6 while installing Arch, it seems that here in Portugal ISPs still dont support it, so, no reason for delays in Evolution mail...

XP -> Ubuntu -> Arch

#4 2009-10-05 15:16:02

Luis Sousa

Lastly, changed from Evolution to Thunderbird, finally no delays when accessing servers... Maybe a bug in Evolution? Shiretoko still has delay the first time i right click on something...

XP -> Ubuntu -> Arch

Board footer