You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-03 16:51:20

grantd

[Solved] [Changed] Can't compile against TooFishes EeePC kernel?

Hey Everyone,
After some searching on the internet, I came across a second Wiki page for installing on an EeePC 701 (that doesn't seem to be there anymore).  That page directed to run the following set of commands:

svn checkout svn://svn.berlios.de/linux-uvc/linux-uvc/trunk
mv trunk linux-uvc
cd linux-uvc
make
make install

From trying this, I found that I needed to change "make" to "make uvcvideo" because this is an outdated driver version, and the product has been moved to support a larger range of devices my another group.  This is all I need for my webcam, but when I run "make uvcvideo" I get the following message:

[linux-uvc]$ sudo make uvcvideo
Building USB Video Class driver...
make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.31.1eee/build: No such file or directory.   Stop
make: *** [uvcvideo] Error 2

Am I doing something wrong??? How do I get this "build" directory for the 2.6.31.1eee kernel?

[Original Title]
EeePC 701 4G Webcam Issue

[Original Message]
Hey Everyone.  I am new to Arch Linux and I followed the guide on how to set it up on an Eee PC, including installing toofishes Eee kernel.  And I absolutely love it, except for one thing, I can't get the webcam to run on toofishes kernel.  From what I can tell, it doesn't have the driver for it, or something.  It works on the stock kernel, but the system seems to run slower and gets less battery life with the stock kernel.  Also, the sound options are limited on the stock kernel.  With all that in mind, I would really love to keep the toofishes kernel as my main kernel.

Is there anyway I can install the UVC driver into the toofishes kernel?  Please remember that I am a NOOB when it comes to this stuff, so please don't assume I know anything.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by grantd (2009-10-06 08:26:36)

#2 2009-10-05 17:54:29

grantd

Re: [Solved] [Changed] Can't compile against TooFishes EeePC kernel?

Maybe I put this in the wrong forum section; if so, any suggestions on which forum section it should be in?

#3 2009-10-05 18:44:11

Zshazz

I looked at toofishes.net and saw that apparently this was supposed to be included in the 2.6.31 kernel, but for whatever reason he accidentally forgot it for that release. This means that in the latest release (2.6.31.1) it should be in there. In the comments of that post, there was a comment about it... you might need to look at CONFIG_VIDEO_USBVIDEO in the kernelconfig
Toofishes.net 2.6.31 release post

#4 2009-10-05 21:59:43

timttmy

I think you need this http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=7763
The webcam on my 701 with toofishes kernel works fine, and I think that's all I added to get it working (but I set it up ~18 months ago now).

This Is My Truth, Tell Me Yours

#5 2009-10-05 23:37:12

Zshazz

Timttmy, what version of the toofishes kernel are you running?

Last edited by Zshazz (2009-10-05 23:39:24)

#6 2009-10-06 08:26:12

grantd

Well, just thought I would say, got it solved.  After some help from Zshazz, I downloaded and built toofishes kernel on my local system (it took forever, about 1.5 hours) and the camera works now.  There was one change made to the standard PKGBUILD, and that was the following:

# load configuration and build kernel + modules
  cp ../kernelconfig ./.config
  make menuconfig
  make || return 1

The line changed was the "make menuconfig" so that I could make the changes I wanted to try, like adding Wine support.

Thanks Zshazz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 2009-10-06 14:11:29

timttmy

@Zshazz kernel-eee 2.6.31.1-2 ATM but I've used his kernels for ~18 months with no webcam problems, it works great with cheese.

This Is My Truth, Tell Me Yours

#8 2009-10-06 17:39:40

Zshazz

You're welcome grantd.

Also, I had him install this version from git: Re-enable lost V4L support

I'm not sure why it was working for timttmy unless it's just due to the fact that grantd has a different variation of the Eee which needs V4L in the kernel.

Board footer