You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-03 21:29:36

dvh

mounting USB devices in arch guest

I'm new to virtualbox, but not to linux.  I have been using arch for at least 3 years, so I have some familiarity with it.  I have recently installed arch as a guest OS on virtualbox (on OSX host).  I am having some trouble accessing an attached USB device from the arch guest.  I have defined the virtualbox USB filter for my device, and it appears to work, detecting the identified device and attaching it to the guest (at least as far as virtualbox is concerned).   I can see the device in the virtualbox pull-down menu, and it shows with a "checkmark" next to it, showing (I think) that it has been attached to my arch guest.

Problem is, I cannot see the device from the arch guest.  no entry in /dev for any USB device.  symptoms are the same whether i insert ther USB device before or after starting the arch guest.  I have HAL and dbus active in my guest.  Also, I have made this work in arch installed natively.  since there is no /dev entry, this might appear to be some form of udev issue?  is there a specific udev setup that I should be aware of for arch as a guest?

Please help if you can.  I will appreciate all comments and suggestions.

-dvh

#2 2009-10-04 00:12:39

Deuterium

Re: mounting USB devices in arch guest

hey, ive got Arch setup in virtualbox as well, and can mount usb's and cd's etc. (although with some issues i may need to bring up in another thread...) anyways, im assuming you have the PUEL virtualbox and not the OSE one?

also, your certain that you've mounted the correct USB (on the Virtual Box pull-down menu)? because you may have mounted a USB which was already attached to your host, and not the actual USB?

just checking, i dont know much about how to fix this issue so im just going at the simple solutions...

#3 2009-10-04 01:53:57

dvh

Re: mounting USB devices in arch guest

Thanks for responding, Deuterium.  I am almost certain that I have the PUEL version.  do you know a way that I can tell for sure?  I am really sure that I am looking at the correct USB entry on the menu, because I can make it appear and disappear by powering on and off the device.  It's clear that the host (OSX) sees it, and it is clear that it is assigned to the VM, because it does not appear on the host desktop, but does appear in this menu.  regardless, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

-dvh

Board footer