You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-04 06:08:20

cautha
Website

Festival: "skips" mid-sentence

In the past, I've had a good experience with Festival--particularly with the Nitech voices. However, before the latest reload, I was using it with ALSA, not Phonon.I don't currently have ALSA installed. I use (and used previously) KDEmod.

Testing a voice with Phonon enabled causes KTTSMgr to crash, as it did before (not that it mattered, because I was still using ALSA, at the time). Currently, the larger problem is that Festival will often only read half of a sentence before skipping to the next one, and sometimes less than that.

I should say that I'm used to occasional audible hiccups from Festival (such as spelling out any words next to a dash, and mispronouncing anything with an apostrophe), but it has never failed me before; it still helps me follow along when reading large blocks of text. Skipping anything more than punctuation is a new behaviour.

The skipping makes it useless, though, in my case.

Am I the only one with this problem? Should I just give up and install ALSA? I'm reluctant to do it, because I managed to get all of my other apps working without it sad

Thank you--and copious amounts of internets to anyone with a solution.

EDIT: Now I feel silly. ALSA was there all along, even though I don't have/need all the plugins. I switched the radio-button from Phonon to ALSA, and it's working much better. Adjusting the speed/pitch sliders in KTTSMgr doesn't seem to affect anything, though. (Voice: nitech_us_rms_arctic_hts)

Last edited by cautha (2009-10-04 08:42:34)

Board footer