You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-05 09:58:56

pootzko
Website

Amarok 2.2 equalizer

Is it still not implemented or is it me not knowing how to make it work?
I read somewhere I should install phonon-xine and that i should work then but it doesn't...

any clues on how to make it work?

I mean... in the end - it IS a music player and I don't give a damn about some fancy shiny interface if I can't listen to music with it as I would like it, and without equalizer any music player is just useless.

thank you

...I put on my robe and a wizard hat...

#2 2009-10-05 10:06:25

ChemBro

Re: Amarok 2.2 equalizer

It works here in KDEmod/Chakra. I think, it needs a patch for phonon-backend-xine, iirc. Or KDE 4.3.2, maybe. Dunno exactly. But it needs something to work...

(yeah, great sentences lol )

#3 2009-10-05 10:38:35

Rasi
Website

pootzko wrote:

I mean... in the end - it IS a music player and I don't give a damn about some fancy shiny interface if I can't listen to music with it as I would like it, and without equalizer any music player is just useless.

thank you

I know this is just subjective and each to his/her own...
But still software equalizers do lots of things - but they definately do not enhance the sound. Thats why there are hardware equalizers and thats why they are quite expensive smile

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#4 2009-10-05 11:23:38

pootzko
Website

Rasi wrote:

But still software equalizers do lots of things - but they definately do not enhance the sound. Thats why there are hardware equalizers and thats why they are quite expensive smile

sorry, but I have to disagree with you. although on a subjective level - if I find the sound to be more pleasing while using (software) equalizer, for me it means that it enhances the sound. be it software or hardware sollution does not matter. what matters is what kind of sound comes out of my speakers into my ears... and honestly, without equalisation it sounds like it comes out of a cardboard... I look at it as a smart way to compensate to a certain degree for a lot more expensive hardware equipment. just make use of what you have the best way you can smile

Last edited by pootzko (2009-10-05 11:25:08)

#5 2009-10-08 22:36:52

dalingrin

Rasi wrote:
pootzko wrote:

thank you

I guess it depends on what you want and how you define what makes an equalizer better but, hardware EQs are not necessarily better than software. If your music is already in the digital domain then I would rather use a good software EQ over an analog. With an EQ I want to make precise adjusts and nothing is better than a digital/software EQ for precise control of frequencies and amplitude.
If you are just sending the music through an EQ to sound "better" then perhaps you might find an analog EQ that adds harmonics to be warmer and thus "better." However, this imo is not what an EQ is meant for. If I am using an EQ then I want it to only change what I say to change.

If we were talking about reverb then yes, analog is better. An EQ should be like a surgical tool, you don't want to just go blindly slashing around.

#6 2009-10-11 17:42:38

sultanhalim

hey, the question was "how to make amarok-2.2 equalizer come back".

same question here.. amarok-2.2.0, KDE-4.3.1, phonon-xine 4.3.1-2, are all installed. still there is no equalizer under tools menu..

please focus you guys!.. tongue

Last edited by sultanhalim (2009-10-11 17:43:23)

#7 2009-10-12 04:20:50

codestation

phonon-xine 4.3.1-2 does not include the equalizer patch, try installing phonon-svn (dont use the git one as is missing a equalizer fix) from AUR (until phonon-xine gets updated) then restart KDE to make the equalizer show in amarok. Works great for me.

#8 2009-10-18 13:20:47

sultanhalim

$ pacman -Qs phonon
local/phonon-svn 1037059-1
    The multimedia API for KDE 4 from svn trunk with xine and
    gstreamer support
local/phonon-xine 4.3.1-2
    Xine backend for phonon
local/qt-nophonon 4.5.2-5
    Qt without Phonon, and the fast Raster graphics system by

snapshotxine.png

i have installed (finally) phonon-svn (using yaourt), (and on the way, replaced qt with qt-nophonon as a dependency). still no sign of it in multimedia backends list (see photo), or no sign of any equalizer under tools in amarok...

any ideas?? what's next??

#9 2009-10-18 13:22:30

Mountainjew

Don't you need to recompile amarok?

#10 2009-10-18 13:26:52

sultanhalim

codestation wrote:

phonon-xine 4.3.1-2 does not include the equalizer patch, try installing phonon-svn (dont use the git one as is missing a equalizer fix) from AUR (until phonon-xine gets updated) then restart KDE to make the equalizer show in amarok. Works great for me.

Do I? Nobody mentioned it..

Besides phonon-svn is a backend like phonon-xine. I didn't recompile amarok when i installed phonon-xine; it was just there, automatically selected.

Do i really have to recompile amarok?? I mean what happened to "then restart KDE to make the equalizer show in amarok" ??

Last edited by sultanhalim (2009-10-18 13:28:33)

#11 2009-10-19 23:22:06

Vamp898
Website

pootzko wrote:
Rasi wrote:

sorry, but I have to disagree with you. although on a subjective level - if I find the sound to be more pleasing while using (software) equalizer, for me it means that it enhances the sound. be it software or hardware sollution does not matter. what matters is what kind of sound comes out of my speakers into my ears... and honestly, without equalisation it sounds like it comes out of a cardboard... I look at it as a smart way to compensate to a certain degree for a lot more expensive hardware equipment. just make use of what you have the best way you can smile

depends hard on the music you hear. There is music that sounds perfectly without equalizer and so sound worse than with equalizer. And there is music which is produced fast and cheap and this can be really fast bump up with software equalizer

btw. i cant use the equalizer too

Last edited by Vamp898 (2009-10-19 23:22:37)

#12 2009-12-22 22:08:26

flick
Website

Hi all, just wondering if Arch's Amarok has a working equalizer ( assuming one has phonon-xine backend installed )? KDEMod's Amarok does, but I'd kind of like to get back to an all-vanilla Arch. Nothing against the Chakra folks, I just like having as few repos as possible in pacman.conf.

#13 2010-02-19 11:59:52

pootzko
Website

finaly!
it's there big_smile

Board footer