You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-06 04:05:02

pedepy

external dvd burner set as scsi hdd in /dev

this used to work flawlessly and i have no idea what could be so different in my new 64 bit setup, but you never know..

i have this 5.25 old dvd burner im using with an ide to usb converter since my internal laptop multi drive has crapped out on me, but now it just doesnt work. when i connect it it 'sees' the device as the sata bridge and sets it as /dev/sdb. i cannot mount any dvds nor is the device recognized as an optical drive by any application ...

ive looked at the usual hal and udev rules and policies and stuff and i just cant find anything that would do that..

chupocabra ... psupsuspsu psu psu

#2 2009-10-07 06:20:52

pedepy

Re: external dvd burner set as scsi hdd in /dev

i see that /dev/sdb is sort of for the ide to usb converter itself, as it gets set to /dev/sdb even if no drive is connected to the converter.

when i plug it again after connecting the dvd drive in, i get a bunch of 'reset' messages in dmesg and then a 'device offlined failed after error recovery' or something like that .. and then it doesnt try anything else..

#3 2009-10-07 07:34:21

pedepy

Re: external dvd burner set as scsi hdd in /dev

ok more stuff .. i just tested the dvd device on the old pIII it used to be attached to and its working fine ...

for some reason my bios also cannot detect the dvd drive too. it tries though, its obvious. the adapter is a jmicron high speed usb to sata/pata ...

anyway, im baffled .. i dunno what else to try

Board footer