You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-08 04:32:23

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

[Workaround] Audacity with jack?

I recall back in the day (Ubuntu) I was able to follow the guide here for getting audacity to play nice (input/output) with Jack. Haven't used it in a year, but now that I'm back on it it just crashes without any error messages when I select JACK as an output. As you can imagine, this sort of limits my bug-hunting capabilities...

Right now I can still play audio thanks to my .asoundrc containing a jack plug. However I can't record from other JACK applications.

Is there a bug in the package (I see --with-portaudio=v19 in the audacity PKGBUILD and portaudio ./configure --help seems to indicate that having JACK support is the default)? Does anyone else here use audacity with jack-audio-connection-kit?

EDIT: This problem seems limited to my laptop, as my desktop with a near-identical Arch 64-bit setup cannot reproduce it with the same packages installed. I workaround the issue by just using the alsa plugin for jack.

Last edited by ngoonee (2009-10-09 11:01:12)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2009-10-08 04:37:57

Vamp898
Website

Re: [Workaround] Audacity with jack?

On Gentoo Audacity have a Jack USE-Flag. Seems that Audacity is missing an --configure option for JACK

Beceuase of better JACK Support im running Gentoo on my Soundstudio xD

but as i said. It works very fine in my Gentoo so it should be able to run in Arch too

#3 2009-10-08 05:50:08

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Vamp898... I've seen your recent Gentoo fanboy posts. While I appreciate your help, and yes its good to know that Audacity does work with Jack (I mentioned as much in my OP), I don't think its very appropriate on the Arch forums to be promoting Gentoo everywhere...

And as I mentioned, the appropriate --configures seem to be set.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2009-10-08 10:07:51

Vamp898
Website

Fanboy post would not look like "I have the facts i am right" fanboy posts = "my system is the best. i dont listen what you say".

http://pastebin.com/d702e9365

in the end, i was right xD (line 37 and line 82) and here is the difference between fanboys wink and when i would promoting Gentoo, it would look other........... more proffesional xD

#5 2009-10-08 10:16:43

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Thank you for the ebuild, but I don't see any recognizable configure options there... Sorry I have no idea how Gentoo ebuilds work.

EDIT: If all you wished to do was prove that Gentoo's Audacity works with Jack, I've already told you I got it working before in Ubuntu....

Last edited by ngoonee (2009-10-08 10:17:24)

#6 2009-10-08 10:33:34

Vamp898
Website

No. I just wanted to profe that Audacity needs an --configure option to work with JACK^^

http://pastebin.com/d702e9365 watch line 82

this line means, if the JACK USE-Flag is enabled (for whole system or just this package) he uses --enable-jack otherwise he disables it

ebuilds are just like PKGBUILD but they have pre-defined functions (for example eutils. econf emake and so on) the about 90% of the ebuild are variables. So with your systemvariables you "build" your ebuild and with your settings the programm will compile.

Last edited by Vamp898 (2009-10-08 10:52:58)

#7 2009-10-08 10:39:09

Vamp898
Website

# $Id$
# Maintainer: Eric Belanger <eric@archlinux.org>
# Contributor: Tom Newsom <Jeepster@gmx.co.uk>
# Contributor: dorphell <dorphell@archlinux.org>

pkgname=audacity
pkgver=1.3.9
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A program that lets you manipulate digital audio waveforms"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="http://audacity.sourceforge.net/"
license=('GPL')
depends=('libvorbis' 'libmad' 'libid3tag' 'wxgtk' 'libsamplerate' \
         'lame' 'shared-mime-info' 'desktop-file-utils' 'redland' 'jack-audio-connection-kit')
makedepends=('zip' 'python' 'pkgconfig' 'soundtouch')
options=('!makeflags')
install=audacity.install
source=(http://audacity.googlecode.com/files/${pkgname}-minsrc-${pkgver}.tar.bz2)
md5sums=('0f2bc8971c6e2c4d39457c28aea16b5c')
sha1sums=('77330b3bb70070001262f6e3c7d74a1d94c93c5e')

build() {
  cd "${srcdir}/${pkgname}-src-${pkgver}"

WX_CONFIG=/usr/bin/wx-config \
  ./configure --prefix=/usr \
     --with-portaudio=v19 --with-libsamplerate=system \
     --without-libresample --with-libmad=system \
     --with-id3tag=system --with-flac=system \
     --with-vorbis=system --with-libexpat=system \
     --with-libsndfile=system --with-soundtouch \
     --enable-unicode --without-taglib --enable-jack || return 1
  make || return 1
  make DESTDIR="${pkgdir}" install || return 1

install -d "${pkgdir}/usr/share/pixmaps"
  ln -s /usr/share/audacity/audacity.xpm "${pkgdir}/usr/share/pixmaps/audacity.xpm" || return 1
}
[vamp898@VampLap audacity]$ ./configure --with-jack=system
-bash: ./configure: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
[vamp898@VampLap audacity]$ vim PKGBUILD 
[vamp898@VampLap audacity]$ cat PKGBUILD 
# $Id$
# Maintainer: Eric Belanger <eric@archlinux.org>
# Contributor: Tom Newsom <Jeepster@gmx.co.uk>
# Contributor: dorphell <dorphell@archlinux.org>

pkgname=audacity
pkgver=1.3.9
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A program that lets you manipulate digital audio waveforms"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="http://audacity.sourceforge.net/"
license=('GPL')
depends=('libvorbis' 'libmad' 'libid3tag' 'wxgtk' 'libsamplerate' \
         'lame' 'shared-mime-info' 'desktop-file-utils' 'redland' 'jack-audio-connection-kit')
makedepends=('zip' 'python' 'pkgconfig' 'soundtouch')
options=('!makeflags')
install=audacity.install
source=(http://audacity.googlecode.com/files/${pkgname}-minsrc-${pkgver}.tar.bz2)
md5sums=('0f2bc8971c6e2c4d39457c28aea16b5c')
sha1sums=('77330b3bb70070001262f6e3c7d74a1d94c93c5e')

build() {
  cd "${srcdir}/${pkgname}-src-${pkgver}"

WX_CONFIG=/usr/bin/wx-config \
  ./configure --prefix=/usr \
     --with-portaudio=v19 --with-libsamplerate=system \
     --without-libresample --with-libmad=system \
     --with-id3tag=system --with-flac=system \
     --with-vorbis=system --with-libexpat=system \
     --with-libsndfile=system --with-soundtouch \
     --enable-unicode --without-taglib --with-pa-include=../portaudio-v19/include || return 1
  make || return 1
  make DESTDIR="${pkgdir}" install || return 1

install -d "${pkgdir}/usr/share/pixmaps"
  ln -s /usr/share/audacity/audacity.xpm "${pkgdir}/usr/share/pixmaps/audacity.xpm" || return 1
}

makepkg -sir your audacity should have JACK Support smile say thanks later

#8 2009-10-08 10:52:22

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Ah, then it is a bug with audacity not being built properly against portaudio perhaps. Thank you, am trying this out now.

#9 2009-10-08 10:54:43

Vamp898
Website

And Please dont think i want to treat you or let you switch to Gentoo^^ im getting about 5 debian users a day installing arch...... would be really bad for me if i would like that they use Gentoo^^

#10 2009-10-08 15:08:59

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Hmm, have you actually tried those PKGBUILDs? Anyway I think the bug is that during configure it spits out a bunch of

configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: (most options here)

. Have not seen that before, looks like the configure is not 'taking', probably indicating either the PKGBUILD is mal-formed, the audacity code is bugged, or perhaps my system is missing some dependency...

EDIT: Sorry Vamp898, I don't think you tried those PKGBUILDs at all, but were just guessing. From observing the ./configure, it seems the arguments are passed to everything in lib-src for configure, and the default PKGBUILD already got a "jack=yes" on the portaudio library. Your first PKGBUILD didn't do anything but re-set the default for portaudio, your second doesn't even compile.

I appreciate that you're trying to help, and you have no obligation to do so. However, this doesn't work, and there's no way it would have worked now that I've looked closer at it.

Last edited by ngoonee (2009-10-08 15:27:08)

Board footer