You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-08 12:46:11

Ryuujin

Samba Help!

I have a shared folder on a Windows XP Box and I want to access it from my Arch box (x64, kdemod).

When I try to acess it with Dolphin it asks for 'authentication data' (username and password), thing is, it not password protected. (I tried using the same user/pass I use for my windows box, my arch user/pass for my user and my root account, but I've not succeded.)

However, I can access the folder using konqueror, with: smb://[local_ip]/ (or via ssh/sftp).

It would be nice if I could mount the folder, I looked in the wiki and I found this:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acc … omatically

I did this:

Using smbnetfs
1. Install smbnetfs
# pacman -S smbnetfs

2. Add the following line to /etc/fuse.conf
user_allow_other

3. Load the FUSE kernel module
# modprobe fuse

4. Start smbnetfs
# /etc/rc.d/smbnetfs start

5. All shares in the network are now automatically mounted under /mnt/smbnet

6. To be able to keep using the shares after a reboot, add the following to /etc/rc.conf
MODULES=(... fuse ...)
DAEMONS=(... smbnetfs ...)

But my /mnt/smbnet folder is empty, do I need to do something else?

I'm not sure if my /etc/fstab entry is correct, could someone verify?

smb://192.168.0.196/2TeraHDD (X)
^ Works in konqueror and has the folder I want to access, the local ip is static.
/mnt/2terahdd
^ folder I made with 'sudo mkdir /mnt/2terahdd'

//192.168.0.196/2TeraHDD\(X)   /mnt/2terahdd   cifs    noauto,users,noatime,username=guest,password=,workgroup=WORKGROUP 0 0

I also tried:
//COMPUTERNAME/2TeraHDD\(X)   /mnt/2terahdd   cifs    noauto,users,noatime,username=MYUSERNAMEINWINDOWS,password=MYPASSWORDINWINDOWS,workgroup=WORKGROUP 0 0

Any help, ideas, link, etc. would be greaty appreciated!

#2 2009-10-08 14:09:15

ralvez
Website

Re: Samba Help!

If you are logging into the samba box as the user "imhome" then you must create that user ID in the samba box.
Windows wants a password because, as far as I can remember, that is required. Usually you set that up in your samba.conf file.

Hope this helps.

R.

#3 2009-10-08 14:49:41

M177ER

Re: Samba Help!

I was having a similar problem try changing workgroup= to domain= like this:

//192.168.0.196/2TeraHDD\(X)   /mnt/2terahdd   cifs    noauto,users,noatime,username=guest,password=,domain=WORKGROUP 0 0

If you want to use you your computername I think you need to specify it in /etc/hosts

Last edited by M177ER (2009-10-08 14:59:36)

Board footer