You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-08 20:20:29

PeGa!
Website

NX and gnome-settings-daemon

Hi all,

I'm new here and I'm using Arch for a few months now. I came (in fact I never left it) from Gentoo, so I found the Arch procedures somewhat familiar. I'm using the x86_x64 flavor as my desktop box, which is an Athlon 64 3200+.

I recently noticed while accessing my box through NX that suddenly had broken the gnome themes and stuff like that. Just by running from a shell "gnome-settings-daemon" I saw the following error:

The error was 'XI_BadClass (invalid Class parameter)'.
  (Details: serial 158 error_code 133 request_code 131 minor_code 6)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
   option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

So I ran gnome-settings-daemon with the --sync parameter:

** (gnome-settings-daemon:9066): WARNING **: Unable to start xrandr manager: unhandled X error while getting the range of screen sizes
[pega@rei ~]$ The program 'gnome-settings-daemon' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'XI_BadClass (invalid Class parameter)'.
  (Details: serial 221 error_code 133 request_code 131 minor_code 6)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
   option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

A quick googling about XI_BadClass led me to https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunt … bug/409621. Browsing a bit I found this: http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/opensu … 86_64.html.

The point is that I just want to try the latest version (or at least that version) of libxklavier. The problem is that i don't want to go the ./configure && make && make install way, for my system's cleanliness sake. I looked for libxklavier in ABS but i found the 3.9 version.
Can you give me a hint?

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

#2 2009-10-08 20:22:32

AndyRTR
Developer

Re: NX and gnome-settings-daemon

#3 2009-10-08 20:48:46

PeGa!
Website

Re: NX and gnome-settings-daemon

Thanks AndyRTR, I managed to install the 4.0 version modifying the PKGBUILD from ABS. After a reboot (I'd got to be sure) I accessed again my box from NX and gnome-settings-daemon seemed to work fine at least in aspect (it loaded the gnome themes) but it spitted out this:

** (gnome-settings-daemon:5100): WARNING **: Unable to start xrandr manager: unhandled X error while getting the range of screen sizes

** (gnome-settings-daemon:5100): WARNING **: libxklavier.so.12: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

** (gnome-settings-daemon:5100): WARNING **: Cannot load plugin 'Keyboard' since file '/usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon-2.0/libkeyboard.so' cannot be read.

** (gnome-settings-daemon:5100): WARNING **: Error activating plugin 'Keyboard'

So I just wanted to be sure that my layout were working (I'm using OpenBox without the startup script):

[pega@rei ~]$ setxkbmap us intl
[pega@rei ~]$ á

As you can see the layout is working fine. So, what's happening here?

Thanks!

Update:

I thought I could sing victory but I left my box alone a bit and when gnome-screensaver activated itself, just went crazy. At any mouse movement or typing any single key, the screen blinked alternating black with the default (green) gnome wallpaper. To recover my computer's control I had to kill gnome-screensaver from a tty; also, I noticed that the layout was broken too (it was reset to default 'us').

So I'm rollbacking right now until knowing more about how to workaround this.

Last edited by PeGa! (2009-10-08 21:06:35)

Board footer