You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-09 19:34:16

iamsmrt

Problems mounting MTP device

I have a creative zen x-fi that I've never been able to update on a linux box (ubuntu before and now arch). I think the problem is that the device is being auto-mounted by my volume manager. For some reason before, when I had some semblance of it working, it would try to automount, I told it not to and then I could use gnomad2 to grab files from the device but I had trouble updating the actual device. When I try to connect to the device when the device is automounted using my volume manager, the device freezes so I can't get anywhere/find difficulty troubleshooting.

The issue right now is that my volume manager seems to automount EVERYTHING and I'm not sure how to unmount the device and so it freezes everytime I try to connect to it. I don't even know what my volume manager is anymore, I uninstalled gnome-volume-manager and it still seems to be automounting everything. So my first question is, how do I find the process that is automounting all these devices?

Eventually I want to be able to update my x-fi in banshee but that's probably a long way from here.

#2 2009-10-09 21:00:43

ssl6

Re: Problems mounting MTP device

i have a zen vision:m, its working fine for me with the new git build of amarok from the KDEmod repo and the newest libmtp 3.7 from extra.

the libmtp page says your zen is compatible
http://libmtp.sourceforge.net/compatibility.php

so.....i know mine works with amarok. but if you're not running kde, thats not going to help you much because your running something else, in which case you won't likely want a bunch of kde libraries just for one program. though it might not hurt to test? the other thing though, is that even the latest version of gnomad is way older than the latest version of libmtp...whether that matters or not is beyond me. im not sure offhand, but i think gnomad is only in aur, so you would have compiled against the newer libmtp right?

anyway, im not really a fan of gnomad personally. since its not working, it wouldn't hurt to try a different program. rhythmbox i believe supports transferring via mtp, its at version 12.5, dated last month. so i would assume if it supports mtp, it should work with the new versions. another one you might try, is exaile, i believe it has mtp suport, but needs a python wrapper or something. either way, if you can get it working with something else, you know its an issue more with gnomad than anything

but if a different program doesn't work, the other possible problem is, you said the volume manager mounts the zen when you plug it in? when that happens, does the zen say its connected on its screen? maybe if it is getting connected, thats preventing gnomad from connecting to it if it is already mounted, im no expert, i don't know where to start there, sorry.

Last edited by ssl6 (2009-10-09 21:18:38)

this is a signature

#3 2009-10-12 17:48:48

iamsmrt

Just tried rhythmbox, it doesn't work (with the MTP plugin on). Banshee also has MTP support so it should be working with the zen. Also, when I connect my zen, it doesn't say it's docked unless I start up gnomad2, then it fails to connect and freezes the player and banshee if I have it running in the background.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure it has to do with my volume manager, how do I figure out what's mounting the zen?

#4 2009-10-12 20:10:44

ZeroCool

Maybe help this ? Creative Zen (and other MTP players) and Amarok: A quick guide (This is for all Music players like Banshee not only for Amarok)

Board footer