You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-11 00:37:00

bredin

Can't install arch, boot problem?

I thought that I give Arch a go on my desktop computer after checking that everything works under linux (using ubuntu-live-cd).
So I downloaded the 64bit netinstall .iso and burned it to a disc. And when I tried to boot the disc I came to a grub prompt. So I thought that something could be wrong with my systemdisk (previously used in raid0 as systemdisk for windows). So I booted the ubuntu-live-cd once again and installed it on the hard drive without any problems. And I put the arch disc back in and tried to boot, but I came to the grub prompt once again. I found a older release (2009.2 64 netinstall) that I've used on my laptop before, so I know that the CD is good. But I came to the grub prompt once again. So then I took the 2009.8 disc and tried to boot my fathers computer with it, and it worked.
Then I thought I'd give USB-install a go. So I downloaded the 2009.8 64bit netinstall .img file and put it on a USB-drive using unetbootin in ubuntu. I booted the USB-drive and I came to the blue grub windows, then I selected to install archlinux with sata. The info about the kernel comes up, and then it just freezes. So I've come as far as booting the installer, but it freezes right away. I've also tried the 2009.8 64 core .img in case the netinstall was missing some important files.

I've tried to remove my usb-dac & soundcard if they conflict in some way, but without success. I've tried to remove all but one memorystick without any luck. Everything but my nic on my motherboard is disabled. Sata is set to ACHI in bios.

My computer:
Processor: Intel e8400
Memory: 4x2gb Mushkin Redline
Graphic card: Nvidia 9400gt
Soundcard: ESI Maya 44
USB-Dac: Red Wine Audio Isabellina HPA
Motherboard: ASUS p5e deluxe (x48 chipsed, marvell nic, IHC 9 sata-controller)
Hard drive: Corsair p64 SSD

I can't understand why it won't boot properly when both Ubuntu and OpenSolaris boots just fine from live-cd. The hard drive and the dvd reader are the only sata things that are plugged in.

Last edited by bredin (2009-10-11 00:37:29)

Lenovo ThinkPad x61
Core2Duo 2ghz, 4gig ram, 16gig SSD.
Archlinux x64 + Fluxbox!

#2 2009-10-11 01:21:13

Garns

Re: Can't install arch, boot problem?

Grub is known to make problems on some systems, when used as to boot from CD. You could try using the alternate ISO with the isolinux bootloader. You can find it on your favorite mirror as archlinux-2009.08-netinstall-x86_64-isolinux.iso

#3 2009-10-11 10:46:07

bredin

Re: Can't install arch, boot problem?

The isolinux worked fine, thx.

Lenovo ThinkPad x61
Core2Duo 2ghz, 4gig ram, 16gig SSD.
Archlinux x64 + Fluxbox!

Board footer