You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-11 14:42:17

suplegolas

Auto Login (Console, No Manager) [SOLVED]

I'm a noob to archlinux and the forums here, but hopefully I can become part of it!

I'm looking for a way to autologin to the console on boot, as I'll be running this computer as an SSH server for secure connections from anywhere in the world, and if I reboot it I really need it to login as root automatically. No login managers, just the lovely black console, that's what I need to auto-login. If that isn't possible... It would be a shame, but I couldn't find anything about just the console in the wiki or forums, only auto-logins for window managers and the like.

Also, if there's a way to start the SSHd after my wpa_supplicant has run on boot, I'd like your help with that too! To be specific: I figured out how to run wpa_supplicant on boot, but SSHd doesn't start automatically (I assume because when it does there's not yet a network connection), so how can I make it wait (say... 30 seconds) before starting itself, to be sure my Wifi will have authenticated by then (WPA)?

Help is much appreciated!

Ian

You're right, it works fine either way! Thanks for your help, I just though that maybe it'd need to be locally logged in to operate the SSHd, but that is false.

Last edited by suplegolas (2009-10-11 18:35:11)

#2 2009-10-11 17:33:38

loafer

Re: Auto Login (Console, No Manager) [SOLVED]

Why do you actually need it to auto login as root?

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#3 2009-10-11 17:57:39

suplegolas

It's a server, and I'd like it to auto-login after I reboot it from afar.

That's all. Security doesn't matter, as no one will have physical access to the logged in machine, that's why I disregard the security concerns of auto-login for local root.

#4 2009-10-11 18:10:44

loafer

It should run fine as a server whether anyone is logged in or not, as long as the daemons etc are running.

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

Board footer