You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-21 03:20:28

wincen

kernel boots slooooow, installed wombat 2.6 IDE

Well, I just installed arch 0.7 beta on my new laptop, t42,  but the kernel loads so freaking slow!  even when going through all the boot sequence it is slow.  It's a brand new laptop, 1.7 Pentium M, why does it boot up slower than red hat on a pentium 133? windows loads very quickly.  Could it be speed step?  is there a setting I gotta tweak?

#2 2004-11-21 08:12:16

LB06

Re: kernel boots slooooow, installed wombat 2.6 IDE

Exactly what part is slow?

You could try setting compact in /etc/lilo.conf (make sure you have some kind of rescue-cd in case it doesn't work properly).

If the entire boot proces is slow, it may have something to do with your harddrive settings. Do you have a SATA harddrive? When I installed Arch on my desktop pc with a SATA drive and chose the stock ide kernel, it was pretty damn slow too. When I installed the stock scsi kernel everything worked as planned.

#3 2004-11-21 21:41:14

wincen

I reintsalled arch with the scsi enabled kernel this time.  The part that still slow is after I select arch from LILO and it says "Loading arch" and all the periods follow.  I guess it's the BIOS check part.

Although, afterwards that's loaded, the rest of the boot process isn't as fast as windows?  Is there a way to speed it up?  Is it compiling your own kernel?

#4 2004-11-21 22:25:18

dp
Website

wincen wrote:

I reintsalled arch with the scsi enabled kernel this time.  The part that still slow is after I select arch from LILO and it says "Loading arch" and all the periods follow.  I guess it's the BIOS check part.

Although, afterwards that's loaded, the rest of the boot process isn't as fast as windows?  Is there a way to speed it up?  Is it compiling your own kernel?

the "loading" part in the begning is slow, because you do not use compact  in lilo

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Board footer