You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-12 11:22:57

paraffin

[Solved]Install ABS without internet connection?

SOLVED: I was able to get to another network and plug in there.  All is good.

Hi all,

<TL;DR>I installed Chakra and got everything set up, installed some packages, changed settings, everything was fine.  But I noticed I hadn't installed NVIDIA drivers.  I tried to # sudo pacman -S nvidia nvidia-utils, but there were too many items depending on libgl, which it had to replace.  To solve this, I killed the graphical server and from the command line and I (stupidly) uninstalled libgl and then tried to install the nvidia drivers, only to realize I wasn't connected to the internet.

I had initially tried to install Arch without Chakra, but the same problem came up; I couldn't connect to the internet.  I went through all the manuals and the wiki, but the problem was dhcpcd eth0 would always time out; my dorm router wasn't giving me an IP through DHCP unless I had the magical KDE running and it somehow decided I could connect to the internet (which took some setting up).

</TL;DR>

Anyway, this means that I'm stuck without an Internet connection or any graphical interface.  I figure the best way to take care of this is to download the arch nvidia drivers and put them on a CD and install them from there.  Of course, the only way to do that is to compile them first with ABS, which I didn't install, and can't easily.  Basically, as far as I can tell, I need a pacman-ready package of ABS that I can burn on a CD, install ABS with something like # pacman -S /media/cdrom/ABS.pkg.gz  (or however that command would work out), compile the nvidia drivers with ABS based on the Wiki instructions for doing so, and be on my merry way.  Alternatively, I could potentially get the nvidia drivers in a package and pacman them from a CD.

So my questions are, a) can this actually work and b) where do I get the ABS package if I don't have an internet connection?

Also, noob question, can I use a flash drive instead of a CD and if so, where would I find the flash drive in the tree?  # ls /media/ turned up nothing last time I tried.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by paraffin (2009-10-12 14:35:53)

#2 2009-10-13 17:53:14

lestoil

Re: [Solved]Install ABS without internet connection?

The chakra wiki page tells you how to install nvidia from the install cd.

Board footer