You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-13 06:27:32

papertigers
Website

[SOLVED softreset fixed] lockup, nfs or softreset failed?

So transffering big files over NFS to my raid 5 running under Arch locks up the whole machine.
I believe it is related to the SB600/700 SATA controller still...which produces:
cat dmesg.log | grep fail
ata4: softreset failed (device not ready)
ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)
ata3: softreset failed (device not ready)
ata2: softreset failed (device not ready)

I could be wrong, if so what else would cause the machine to lockup hard?
Also has anyone been able to fix the softreset problem? I found this patch... http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/git-c … 14/2122314
but I have no idea how to actually patch a kernel or if it works.

Last edited by papertigers (2009-10-14 14:50:45)

#2 2009-10-14 14:50:17

papertigers
Website

Re: [SOLVED softreset fixed] lockup, nfs or softreset failed?

So I think that the problem was not related to NFS at all. It was related to:
ata4: softreset failed (device not ready)
ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)
ata3: softreset failed (device not ready)
ata2: softreset failed (device not ready)

I have seen some other people around on the forums that have this problem.  I was able to fix the problem
by compiling my own kernel without sata pmp support.  The errors went away and I can safely transfer large files.
If anyone wants help with this let me know, or maybe ill make a repo with latest kernel with pmp disabled for sb600/sb700 users.

I am going to edit the topic name to solved.  Like I said let me know if you need help.

#3 2012-08-29 22:55:23

stonix_015

Re: [SOLVED softreset fixed] lockup, nfs or softreset failed?

Anything new on this ?
I got the same error, but i dont really want to recompile every new kernel version which gets released, cause my system is always up to date and i had to compile it every month.
I read that the bug affects on the performance on the system, and thats something i really dont want to, cause i use gnome shell together with kde-plasma-desktop and lots of desktop-widgets.

I cant believe that there isnt a greater solution, cause the problem seems to affect lots of systems (with amd-chip) and i thought problems like this get solved after a short while through main kernel development.

Board footer