You are not logged in.

#1 2004-11-21 23:15:44

woodstock

Yet another praise for ArchLinux

Hi, I thought I would introduce myself and drop a line on these forums.

I've been using Arch on and off for awhile now and I would just like to say that this distro, although young and is still going through some growing pains, is simply amazing.

I come from a gentoo/slackware/freebsd background and Arch seems to have the best of all those worlds.

For starters, I love the overall simplicity of this system, reminds me of slackware (my first true love). Pacman is great and I like how it doesn't get in my way. I use to think that portage was the best of the best, being based on the FBSD ports and being very flexible. After about 3 months of use I started to get a little annoyed by some of the "road blocks" portage has, such as when you want ot mix stable and unstable packages together on the same system "properly". If you've had some gentoo experience you'll know what I mean.

The next thing about Arch that I find refreshing is how the rc.conf is implemented. It has that Lord of The Rings thing going, with the one file to rule them all (sorry, that was lame smile)

ABS is also a nice treat, as I have ocassionally disagreed with how some packages have been packaged.

This brings me to my next few points.

Over the while that I have been using Arch, there have been more than a few reviews published on the net, all seemingly good reviews with nothing truely terrible said about Arch. The one thing that was said though, on more than on ocassion, was that Archs only weak point was in the documentation area. This is something that has been improving over the last little while but to be honest, is still a problem.

Now, I don't have any problems with the lack of doc's myself, as I know how to get around just about any Linux distro, but not everyone can. My FreeBSD background has shown that it's rubust set of documents put any linux distro to shame, even gentoo. I feel we should do something about this and I am completely ready to dive in and help. The reason being, is that I see a huge amount of potential for Arch and I would like to see it achieve these goals.

I also don't like it when people say Arch should be this, Arch should be that. Arch will be whatever Arch wants to be and it is completely capable of being whatever you want it too aswel, but it will do it the way Arch does it.

This brings me to my last and final points.

Since Arch is a young project, it has the chance to improve where many distro's have failed. I will in the next coming days release an artilce on these forums, which is completely debatable, outlining some ideas in detail that can be thought about regarding Arch. I hope it's considered helpful and not just annoying. smile

Well, that's about it for now. I have the habit to ramble on, so sorry if I seemed to jump around in my post.

Anyway, Arch is simply my favourite distro and I see a bright and wonderful future ahead for it.

Thank you for your time

--  w00dst0ck.

-- woodstock

#2 2004-11-21 23:26:00

xerxes2
Website

Re: Yet another praise for ArchLinux

hello
great post and welcome to the board,

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#3 2004-11-22 00:01:37

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

make sure you stop by the wiki..
wiki.archlinux.org

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#4 2004-11-22 00:26:02

woodstock

Why thank you. smile

-- woodstock

Board footer