You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-14 00:32:33

wheeman

/boot is unreadable by GRUB

I've been trying to install Arch on my Acer Aspire One netbook for the last couple of days. The installation itself goes fine but once I try to reboot it fails.

Its a standard hard drive partition scheme:
/             ext4
/boot       ext2
/home     ext4
swap       swap

The kicker is when I go back and check things out with the LiveUSB installer. Running cfdisk on /dev/sda shows me that the /boot is of the FS type W95 FAT32. I have tried several times to change it to Linux but no dice. Is this why GRUB fails to read the partition?

What's going on and how do I solve it?

EDIT: It seems that regardless what I do the first partition always resets itself to type "W95 FAT32" and forces the boot flag to that.

Last edited by wheeman (2009-10-14 01:40:56)

#2 2009-10-17 22:47:21

thetrivialstuff

Re: /boot is unreadable by GRUB

I just had a similar thing happen when I put Arch on my laptop. I had to make the partitions in Windows 7 because Windows 7 apparently made a screwey partition table (cfdisk doesn't like it; something about ending in or out of the final cylinder...), so they were all typed Windows.

Grub refused to recognize my ext2 boot partition until I changed its type with fdisk (fdisk /dev/sda, then p to see the list of partitions, t to change the type, give it the partition number of your /boot, when it asks for the type put '83', then w to write the updated table to the disk).

If that appears to work but doesn't update when you check it again, make sure everything is unmounted (including swap). If it wasn't, you'll have to reboot for it to see changes.

Board footer