You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-14 08:13:35

mustafa

kernel-2.6.31 cpu temperature

hi ,,
when I upgrading my kernel to 2.6.31 it's goes crazy and start to gave me this message again and again

kernel: CPU0: Temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 10450)

it can't load the system any more. but the previous  kernel work fine. is there's any thing I can do or I have to downgrade the kernel.

thanks in advance.

#2 2009-10-14 09:00:33

chromatic

Re: kernel-2.6.31 cpu temperature

I had the same problem. Remove the vga= and/or video= in /boot/grub/menu.lst. If the problem persist, disable KMS.
More info in the wiki.

#3 2009-10-14 09:30:53

mustafa

ok, I booted in fallback kernel which is don't have the framebuffer enabled, the system boot fine but when I switch to the console the message is all over the palce.

to the other suggestion: what is the KMS and how the KMS be relevant to this problem and how could I disable it.
if you could give me some page about the topic it'll be great.

thanks.

#4 2009-10-14 11:06:55

chromatic

mustafa wrote:

ok, I booted in fallback kernel which is don't have the framebuffer enabled, the system boot fine but when I switch to the console the message is all over the palce.

to the other suggestion: what is the KMS and how the KMS be relevant to this problem and how could I disable it.
if you could give me some page about the topic it'll be great.

thanks.

KMS definition from Wikipedia : "Mode-setting is setting up the screen resolution and depth mode for the graphics card. Modern mode setting software support multiple monitors ("multi-head") and hot plugging."

My graphic card is an ATI so I followed this wiki page : http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI
KMS doesn't work at all on my laptop (maybe because I use drm-git and xf86-video-ati-git) but I don't care so I disabled it by adding "nomodeset" to the kernel boot line in grub/menu.lst.

#5 2009-10-15 10:35:20

mustafa

chromatic wrote:

KMS definition from Wikipedia : "Mode-setting is setting up the screen resolution and depth mode for the graphics card. Modern mode setting software support multiple monitors ("multi-head") and hot plugging."

My graphic card is an ATI so I followed this wiki page : http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI
KMS doesn't work at all on my laptop (maybe because I use drm-git and xf86-video-ati-git) but I don't care so I disabled it by adding "nomodeset" to the kernel boot line in grub/menu.lst.

thanks but it's not working, for now I downgrade to 2.6.30 untill I found a work around.

#6 2009-10-23 13:06:22

drandre

2.6.31 switched on some mods to ACPI which have caused grief on some systems.  Check what's going on by making sure you have lm-sensors installed and configured (run sensors-detect and add sensors to the daemons started in /etc/rc.conf). Watch the system temperature using a desktop widget or the sensors command.

Board footer