You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-14 14:19:07

Xi0N
Website

Where to install the boot loader?

Upon finishing the installation, you are given the chance to select wherte to install the bootloader.......

The same installation program recommends you to install it on sdb in example, instead of in sdb6.........
In my setup, /boot is sdb6, so: where should i install it? which pros and cons does it have to install it in one or in the other?

Thanks!

#2 2009-10-14 14:43:44

byte

Re: Where to install the boot loader?

How did you partition the disk? Do you dual-boot with Windows or another OS?

Usually you'd choose the MBR of the disk (/dev/sdb in your case), otherwise you won't be able to boot at all.
Installing the MBR code inside the partition is only useful when you want keep your existing boot loader.

Remember, this question only concerns the boot loader code; the Grub files will end up in /boot/grub anyway.

#3 2009-10-14 15:46:33

Xi0N
Website

I have some system, i think its name is doors, or windows, something like that, in another separate disk.. lets say, sda......... so, i think the best choice is still to install that boot code on sdb directly, isnt it?
I will install it later when im back at home, and post any othe problems i am finding with the pertitions..... i think grub is getting a bit mad since i have 3 different disks sda, sdb and sdc.........

Thanks!!!

#4 2009-10-14 16:00:17

Xi0N
Website

Lets say, i have been messing around and i installed the boot loader in sdb6 firest... then, i formatted all but /home and installed it on sdb.... could it be taht i have it installed in two places on the same time?
If i didnt have the /home partition full with stuff, i would just wipe all and start from scratch.........

#5 2009-10-14 16:12:38

pressh
Developer/TU

When you've installed it on a partition I suppose you should be able to remove it manually.

As for the location where to install, it depends on what you want to achieve as byte already said. If you want grub to handle your boot process you want it in the mbr of the first physical disk.

#6 2009-10-15 13:31:55

Xi0N
Website

Afterwards, i had some problems with the partitions during the boot.... like if the system was not able to recognize them properly, and allways i got this message saying me that the partition sdb2 is not an ext2, and suggesting me to perform a disk integrity check because the superblock may be corrupt.....

I seemed to fix this by changing under fstab the disk locations (sdbx) to the disk uuid's.................

Board footer