You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-14 21:23:45

Andrew11

I am new to linux

I am new to linux how do I find out more info and where do I get started?  Thanks for help.

#2 2009-10-14 21:27:16

ZeroCool

Re: I am new to linux

Hello new Linux member smile

I think the Wiki is a good start. Have you special questions search in the wiki or forum. You will find the most thing there.

#3 2009-10-14 21:32:16

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

don't double post Andrew11

Why shuold I switch to linux?

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#4 2009-10-14 23:15:05

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

litemotiv wrote:

don't double post Andrew11

Why shuold I switch to linux?

Typically I'd agree with you, but in this case I'd say it's not really double posting. In the aformentioned post he's asking for affirmation as to why he should switch. This post seems more geared towards learning more about linux itself. Just my two cents. Either way, welcome aboard Andrew11. The Wiki is always a good place to start, as is our IRC channel. And don't forget Google.

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#5 2009-10-14 23:33:25

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps the Beginners Guide will give you a good start...............

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#6 2009-10-15 06:41:52

eDio

Arch is, of course, good distro to start. But you should look at some ready out of the box distro before, f.ex. Linux Mint or Ubuntu to understand, what linux can do.
I suppose, terminal on the start of your linux way will confuse you.

And as was said, Arch wiki is your friend wink You should read Beginners guide and Official install guide almost simultaneously. The second for deep understanding and the first for translating some points, which are unclear from the Official install guide.

#7 2009-10-15 11:06:59

FreakGuard

Arch is quite a jump into cold water (english proverb?). But you'll really learn a lot of stuff, but probably quite condensed. I'd recommend ubuntu for a start, except you're sure you've got a lot of time wink

#8 2009-10-15 11:09:59

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

And determination tongue.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#9 2009-10-15 16:11:50

ASOM

I think they may be trying a little too hard to scare you. The documentation in the Arch Wiki is very thorough and very well written, by following the beginners guide you will end up with a working system. Do a little research before hand, search for a mirror close to you so you will be able to select on install and make the process go much faster, find the information pertaining to your video card in the wiki, follow the xorg without a xorg.conf guide and decide on the type of desktop environment you would like to have as there are many possibilities in linux. You have to find what works best for you. Google is usually a good place to start for finding information on those sort of things.

While ubuntu is OK for getting a working linux install without much user intervention, most people that use it eventually leave it, whether for a different distro or back to windows doesn't matter. There is a lot to be said for the sense of accomplishment and pride that comes from deciding exactly which packages end up on your system.

#10 2009-10-15 16:29:46

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

ASOM's right, Arch might not be an 'out of the box' distro, but you will learn a lot and there are lots of good resources available. I firmly believe that it's entirely possible to start on Arch and stay on Arch. If you have any problems (preferably after consulting the wiki and google) feel free to contact me.

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#11 2009-10-15 17:01:20

Ranguvar

I think Arch is fine for newbies to GNU/Linux, as long as:

-) They know how to use forum and web search effectively.
-) They consult documentation first (man commandnamehere).
-) They know how to politely ask questions on forum and such.
-) They do their best to think for themselves and figure out the methods behind the apparent madness.

Oh, and I'd also recommend doing an install on a VM or throwaway machine first.  I re-did my Arch install at least 5 times before I was even close to happy with it, back when I was a super-noob.

#12 2009-10-15 23:05:05

Neheb

as the others have said, the beginners guide is a good place to start.

I would also really recommend access to a secondary computer for when things go wrong.

#13 2009-10-16 10:35:41

quarkup
Website

yup..

virtualbox (from http://www.virtualbox.org/)
is a great tool as a VM.

well, another linux distro which may be adequate for linux new users could be the ubuntu - its just easier, but does not provide the same philosophy that arch would provide - simplicity..
you should learn a bit more about the linux shell commands before migrating to arch, or you can do it all if you really install arch in the VM.

I fully agree with Ranguvar.

If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Board footer