You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-15 02:19:29

habitue

Fonts being *extremely* jacked up when using second monitor [SOLVED]

This problem only recently started for me. Basically, everything works fine when I am on my laptop (Thinkpad T61) but when I plug in my external monitor fonts start going all crazy.  In this case, it means fonts change color seemingly randomly, and randomly certain characters will be rendered either as white rectangles, or the top half of the character will have a white rectangle over it.  I use the following two commands to switch to the dual monitor setup:

xrandr --output LVDS --mode 1280x800 --pos 0x0 --output VGA --auto --mode 1280x720                  # this is the single laptop monitor configuration
xrandr --output LVDS --mode 1280x800 --pos 200x1050 --output VGA --mode 1680x1050 --pos 0x0  # this is the dual monitor configuration

Here is a screenshot of what is happening:
h4mAb.jpg

I use xmonad and I have just today Syu'd (it didn't magically help unfortunately )

What could be causing this? I get the problem not only in my terminal (sakura), but also in the browser and other programs (you can see in the screenshot that the "X" buttons on the tabs in chrome are messed up as well). The appearance changes randomly too, I will hit enter at the command line and all the text in the terminal will go black, and then I'll type something and it will change again

Edit: Well I solved it myself, apparently it was using the legacy intel drivers causing the problem

Last edited by habitue (2009-10-15 05:25:39)

Board footer